Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

12-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Protein Diets.

I'm thinking of starting a Protein Diet it the hope it will give me a bit more energy or at least stop me feeling so tired all the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

thanks
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Re: Protein Diets.

Hello Brenda, have you spoken to your GP first, just to make sure there is not another reason for your tiredness?
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

12-07-2017, 08:48 PM

I did go, had some blood tests and was low on folic acid so that's in hand. I have noticed that on the days I eat carbs I feel worse than on the days I don't so I thought cutting down on the carbs and increasing protein for a short time might help too. Worth a try.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Project Brenda ->
I did go, had some blood tests and was low on folic acid so that's in hand. I have noticed that on the days I eat carbs I feel worse than on the days I don't so I thought cutting down on the carbs and increasing protein for a short time might help too. Worth a try.
I did that a couple of years ago with great results. I ate all high protein foods and cut out the carbs. Also had a cholesterol test and it was as low as 4. There's a good book which explains it all and how to do it safely. I will try to find it and let you know the title.

It's not just a case of cutting out bread, rice & pasta, there are many other things you can't eat including all root vegetables.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Hi Brenda

My apologies, I forgot to mention it was a vegetarian version:

The vegetarian low carb diet by Rose Elliot. A bit of a read but it works.
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

12-07-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I did that a couple of years ago with great results. I ate all high protein foods and cut out the carbs. Also had a cholesterol test and it was as low as 4. There's a good book which explains it all and how to do it safely. I will try to find it and let you know the title.

It's not just a case of cutting out bread, rice & pasta, there are many other things you can't eat including all root vegetables.
Ah, great thank you, I will go to the library and search it out.
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

12-07-2017, 09:45 PM

Hi Brenda

My apologies, I forgot to mention it was a vegetarian version:

The vegetarian low carb diet by Rose Elliot. A bit of a read but it works.
Maybe worth a try too, although I hate to say I do like meat so not sure I would last long as a vegetarian.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Project Brenda ->
Maybe worth a try too, although I hate to say I do like meat so not sure I would last long as a vegetarian.
I don't think meat will be a problem as it's high in protein.

Many years ago, my mum was put on a bacon & eggs diet by her doctor. She could eat as much of it as she wanted plus some other foods. She lost loads of weight.
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

12-07-2017, 09:51 PM

I don't think meat will be a problem as it's high in protein.

Many years ago, my mum was put on a bacon & eggs diet by her doctor. She could eat as much of it as she wanted plus some other foods. She lost loads of weight.
Sounds like my kind of Doctor!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 02:38 PM

I used to feel exhausted before i realised I could not eat gluten. You might try cutting that out for a week because if it is that you will know after 2 to 3 days to a week. If it is that then you can still eat carbs, which is kinder to your kidneys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top