Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Bad Car Day

It is well known I have to utilize a workhorse for business and leisure purposes, well I bought another one three weeks ago, to replace my rattling diesel Mondeo, which I bought 12 months ago for £500.00 and did 22000 miles in. It was replaced with an 06 reg 1.8 petrol Vectra, for the sum of £470.00, three weeks ago. It stood on my drive for the first two weeks whist I played brinksmanship with the Mondeo, but, finally I taxed it and transferred the insurance over last Monday. I was bit wary of the clutch, as it was biting very high, but was not willing to replace it until I felt the car was a half decent general proposition, I noticed it was using a small amount of water, so, I carried a bottle with me, until I could ascertain how much. Last night I got out of the car, and left it idling, when I returned there was a torrent of water under, so, I had to get the car recovered to my drive. It's spent the day at the local garage, who informed that the head gasket has gone, and is pressurizing the coolant system, forcing the water out of the overflow, so, £470.00 8 days, and 400 miles, such is life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 03:59 PM

Re: Bad Car Day

Oh spitty think many of us have had second hand cars like that. It's a bit of a gamble getting below £1000 for a car we always think.

Worse one we had was a red van Astra, that got home from the place we bought it and carried a bale of straw from weybridge to knaphill then it made a drastic noise and a sigh and that was it had to be towed to the dump.

Only £100 but it still felt like we'd spend too much on it
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Oh no! Was it a private sale?
My daughter's partner is a delivery driver has been caught twice with cars he bought privately. Swines!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 05:09 PM

I needed another car as old one being scrapped.
Visiting my friend one weekend we went round the small adds and I ended up buying a ford orion. Drove home early Monday morning and straight to work. It was getting worse and worse which I put down as the terrible rain on way home.
Workmate ex mechanic looked it over in car park for me. I'd been sold a real lemon. It was picked up by scrap yard form work car park £450 for going 95 miles in total. It may not have been much to some people but a lot to me.
Its a lottery buying used cars when you don't have car mechanic experience.
The funny thing is I bought a funny looking Simca 1100 that people looked at me as if I was mad. That car took us everywhere no problem. I only ended up selling it because I was given company car.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 05:19 PM

That's the problem with bangernomics, you can buy good cars cheap if you have a modicum of knowledge, but still things can fail, my bil bought a big merc ml from a guy who'd been told by a garage that the turbo had gone, bil looked at it and changed one of the breather hoses and was as good as new, mind you it helps that he's a mechanic
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:47 PM

Best to go to an auction and put a bid in on an ex company car Spitty. Very high mileage but it will have been looked after, companies don't want cars to spend too much time in the garage, so make sure they are in tip top condition. I've had some very good motors in the past....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:57 PM

I have been idle OGF, and in the main been lucky, I need a new Workhorse by Monday, so will need to kick a few Tyres over the weekend.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-07-2017, 09:59 PM

Sorry for the double entry, I got that 5 character stuff, what's that all about?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-07-2017, 07:33 AM

I have decided to hang on to all these cars I get through, until the "Scrappage" scheme comes in.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I have decided to hang on to all these cars I get through, until the "Scrappage" scheme comes in.
Pity I don't live a bit closer Spitty, I bet I could have kept one going a bit longer for you.....Was a bit handy with engines in my younger day......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top