Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:52 PM

Re: Can you walk heel to toe?

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I can still walk heel to toe, thank goodness, as for crouching I can get down but once there I can't get back up without help.

Why do supermarkets have such a low bottom shelf? I crouch down to reach what I want, find myself stuck, kneel down on the floor and wonder if I caught hold of a higher shelf would it topple over onto me It's so embarrassing when you have to ask a shop assistant for help

I have one of those kneeler seats for working on the garden, I find they are a big help now and couldn't manage without it.

I might suggest to supermarkets to provide one for each aisle to aid us unfit over50's
I have the same problem in Supermarkets Mags, I have to kneel to see the labels then I can't get up again
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks for starting this thread Meg, I thought i could do it easily.... but I can't!

I think reminders like this can help us all delay the aging process!
Twink I am so relieved it isn't just me. I thought it might be caused by my medication.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I can't can't do this anymore without falling over (and I don't drink alcohol these days).
I am going to practice daily to try to improve my balance.
Crouching down is another thing I find difficult to do, it hurts my knees but I can kneel.

It's amazing how these physical failings creep up on us as we age.
I have never tried it before, and just did when I saw this post, the answer is a resounding, 'NO'!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Sweetie on a more serious note yes it is important.
As we get older our balance isn't so good which makes us more prone to falls .
If you can't do it very well that is a reminder to try to do some exercise to improve your balance.

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/...er-people.aspx
Thanks for the link to the balance exercises Meg, just right for my back as they aren’t too strenuous

Oh... and I can still put my tights and socks on without difficulty
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:54 PM

That's a good example on your video, Meg.
This is another example, the walking lunge.

You can also do this exercise by holding a couple of light kettlebells or dumbbells or improvise with two oranges. Do the same sort of thing but with your arms vertical by your sides.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 05:21 PM

I can't walk heel to toe without almost overbalancing, had to stick me arms out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

02-04-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's a good example on your video, Meg.
This is another example, the walking lunge.

You can also do this exercise by holding a couple of light kettlebells or dumbbells or improvise with two oranges. Do the same sort of thing but with your arms vertical by your sides.
Floydy if I did that I would need a stretcher my old knees wouldn't cope...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

02-04-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have never tried it before, and just did when I saw this post, the answer is a resounding, 'NO'!
Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I can't walk heel to toe without almost overbalancing, had to stick me arms out.
Well I am really relieved I am not alone...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Meg, you can give those lunges a slow go with just a little dip, not the full range as shown in the video. With enough practice, your legs will get stronger and you'll be able to go deeper.

Another idea is just to put a piece of tape on your patio or floor and just practice from time to time, which is what I do, ever trying to get good at noseriding. I still fall off the surfboard more often than not, but it sure is fun trying:

Skip to about :35

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:54 PM

I must be one of the luckier ones, as I just walked across the room and down the hallway no problem. I did it barefoot though, does that count?

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top