Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 04:52 PM

The National Meeting.

There's been lots on our local radio today about Aintree, parts of programmes this afternoon have come from the race course 'cos it's the first day of the meet. They've been talking to a Lady jockey who is riding in the big race at the weekend.The bookies expect to take almost £300M, on that one race. ...... They're not getting anything off me.
I don't think i've ever been insde a betting shop.When i was working i'd always buy a horse in the sweep, but that's my gambling limit.
Have you ever been to the races, if we've got any experts perhaps you'll share a few tips.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 04:54 PM

Re: The National Meeting.

I used to always do a little flutter on the Grand National, but I've none done it for at least 4 years now as I think its a wicked race.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I used to always do a little flutter on the Grand National, but I've none done it for at least 4 years now as I think its a wicked race.
Me too. I think we have become more educated in the welfare of animals. I haven't done it for about ten years.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Haven't they made it safer than it was ? I thought in previous years i'd heard them saying the fences aren't as high and less solid ???
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 05:42 PM

I've had a go on the National in the past but I haven't a clue how it all works. Might as well just chuck my wallet at 'em.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 06:32 PM

I think the fences are too high, even though they have lowered them in recent years.
I Don"t bother as just hate to see horse & rider fall in any circumstances
It doesn"t seem to happen so much in other races
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:01 AM

I don't bet on the National.
Personally I think it is a gruelling race even for the fittest of horses, and some die almost every year - just to put even more money in people's pockets.
OK, I might be a killjoy, but I still don't like it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't bet on the National.
Personally I think it is a gruelling race even for the fittest of horses, and some die almost every year - just to put even more money in people's pockets.
OK, I might be a killjoy, but I still don't like it.
I am with you on this one, Mups.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 12:07 PM

I will have a wee flutter and will watch the race

Horse racing is a serious sport on the island of Ireland. Our local pub has its own bookie and the place will be heaving
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am with you on this one, Mups.

Thanks Tabs, I just feel so sad for those who won't make it back to their stable tonight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top