Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Places of Historical Interest in UK

I'm not sure if this would be the correct section, so if not , apologies but I'm sure it will be moved if necessary.

Thought it might be nice for folk to expand on their local history and places of interest.

So many places in this beautiful land which we might know little about ,or their connections to historical events etc.

After reading Robert Jnr comments about John Wesley, he did regularly come to the area of where I now live. In the 1700's he would sail into Parkgate. There is mention of him in the link below, but also so much more about Parkgate, a small port which has changed very little since those days of his visits. A mile or so along the road in Ness is where Lady Hamilton lived, and of course eventually became the lady of Horatio Nelson.

http://www.cc-publishing.co.uk/Archives/hamilton.html

Do you have an interesting place to share ?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 08:08 PM

Re: Places of Historical Interest in UK

Hi Puddle. This sounds like it will be an interesting thread. I have never been to the UK but if I was ever lucky enough to visit Scotland or England, I would love to visit a castle; beter still, sleep in one all night....wouldn't that we awesome.
(My mom was born in Scotland (Glasgow)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hi Puddle. This sounds like it will be an interesting thread. I have never been to the UK but if I was ever lucky enough to visit Scotland or England, I would love to visit a castle; beter still, sleep in one all night....wouldn't that we awesome.
(My mom was born in Scotland (Glasgow)
There are many castles here, some in ruins; others in a good state.
However, I don't know of any where you can sleep in it. I may be wrong, of course.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 08:35 PM

Come to Northern Ireland WB, we have castles galore, some are now hotels so you can sleep in them

The Ballygally Castle is supposed to be the most haunted place in Ulster
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 08:47 PM

Castles you can stay in.. I think some of the Keeps are self catering, you'd have to check them out. Would be fun.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/Sea...yAAEgIBV_D_BwE

http://www.discoverbritainmag.com/romantic-castles/

https://www.celticcastles.com/
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 09:14 PM

Puddle duck you have certainly brought back some memories when you mentioned Parkgate.
Walking along that little low wall on what used to be the sea wall. Buying shrimps and ice creams after finding a parking place on the front on a busy summer Sunday.

Neston was the place I nearly bought my first house. A little cottage type terraced place that had never been modernised.

When about eighteen and had my own car used to go to the Harp Inn, little Neston, on the edge of the Dee with my girlfriend. It was good as you could park up outside the pub looking out over the marshes across to Wales, nip in the pub to buy a drink for you and your date and drink them in the car. Terrible pot hole road leading to pub though.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 09:18 PM

Sorry forgot to say
Great idea for a thread as I would certainly like more info on places of interest
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

06-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Puddle duck you have certainly brought back some memories when you mentioned Parkgate.
Walking along that little low wall on what used to be the sea wall. Buying shrimps and ice creams after finding a parking place on the front on a busy summer Sunday.

Neston was the place I nearly bought my first house. A little cottage type terraced place that had never been modernised.

When about eighteen and had my own car used to go to the Harp Inn, little Neston, on the edge of the Dee with my girlfriend. It was good as you could park up outside the pub looking out over the marshes across to Wales, nip in the pub to buy a drink for you and your date and drink them in the car. Terrible pot hole road leading to pub though.
Wow ! The Harp is still there. Still has the regulars talking tales of old. I nearly bought the house next to the Harp, but realised that weekends would be a constant stream of parked vehicles in front. Mostyn House (school)has been sold and turned into apartments, but the façade is still the same. Famous Nicholls Ice Cream Parlour is still there, in fact it's one place that doesn't change apart from the marsh. Great when highest tides come. All the birds and wildlife escape , as it comes in under the marshes . Boathouse , Ship Inn in fact there are plenty of images on google to see how it is .

Thanks for your nice comment about the thread
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Come to Northern Ireland WB, we have castles galore, some are now hotels so you can sleep in them

The Ballygally Castle is supposed to be the most haunted place in Ulster
I'll have to put that on my bucket list Missy. I would love to visit Ireland. That is the castle I would like to visit, the haunted one....the excitement, right up my alley...

My first husband was from Ireland, if he had not died, no doubt we would have visited Ireland.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

06-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There are many castles here, some in ruins; others in a good state.
However, I don't know of any where you can sleep in it. I may be wrong, of course.
Hi JBR, I will have to look on a map and see where you are from. If I lived there, I'd be sure to tour all of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top