Join for free
Page 13 of 17 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't accept this 'poor me' attitude that Yorkshire (with a population number similar to that of Scotland) is disadvantaged by being a small partner is a much bigger collective. The same might be said by an East Anglian or a South-Westerner for example.
Or.........the EU ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Well! Thanks for your considered post! Proves it doesn’t have to be all out war and nasty on political forums. You won’t be surprised that I don’t agree with your opinion of Nicola Sturgeon. Got a quote of hers for you-
“I condemn any comments or language, that is in any way shape or form racist or anti-English or in any way seeks to divide people on the basis of their ethnicity.”
I suspect you won’t believe that but maybe you could verify it with her English granny! Personally I have no time for anti Englishness and hope you believe me at least.
Got friends in Shropshire , Wellington nr Telford, and go regularly Shrewsbury Folk Festival (big fan of Morris Dancing but keep that quiet).
Sorry but with Nicola and her SNP, it's actions rather than words that maketh the woman!

Glad you enjoy the annual Shrewsbury Folk Festival. It's usually held at the Greenhous West Midland Showground over 4 days. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's been on over this Bank Holiday weekend. (bet they had a swimming time yesterday - it bucketed down all day!)
I read that tickets were sold out completely apart from a few for today. It sounds very popular.

Know Telford well. Worked there for over 20 years. I live North of Shrewsbury and love it here. True born and bred Salopian.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Or.........the EU ?
Exactly if you are happy to be in the UK union what's the difference with the EU?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Or.........the EU ?
You wish!

The difference being that every citizen in the UK has an equal vote on who will form our government.

We have absolutely no say on who will form the European Commission, other than (indirectly) our (one in twenty-eight) own representative.

No doubt you would like to hand our country to a foreign power, but I don't.
jauma
New Member!
exeter uk
jauma is male 

29-09-2018, 04:28 PM

unless you are a resident of Scotland you will not be aware of project fear mark !. If you are truly of the age group you will note ( spooky) that the 1st referendum 1975 the out come was 52% for independence 48% against! This was kicked into touch by Westminster.check the history
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jauma ->
unless you are a resident of Scotland you will not be aware of project fear mark !. If you are truly of the age group you will note ( spooky) that the 1st referendum 1975 the out come was 52% for independence 48% against! This was kicked into touch by Westminster.check the history
I had no idea! A similar result to a couple of years ago, then.

I find that disgusting, and equally disgusting is May's attempts to keep us in the EU in one form or another, supported by quite a number of other MPs.

And we call ourselves a democracy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if we are not free from the EU as the majority voted, I shall see absolutely no point in voting again in any election or referendum.

If many other people follow suit, and our free (for the moment) press reports that accurately and honestly, our MPs will be unable to hold their heads up on the world stage.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
You could argue all this till the cows get home and get no further than slagging each other off. I think May, Roxy and I have been quite clear that we are not anti-English and have been careful to use non confrontational language.
To repeat, this is about self determination, if Scotland were independent, it would be up to us alone to decide whether to join the EU or not, as it stands, we have very little (none even) say in the matter.
Come to think of it, it may be easier to spend a Euro than a Scottish banknote in some parts of England.

I thought Scottish folks had a vote on whether to leave or stay in the EU same as everyone else. Not sure what you mean weedeek when you say you "have very little (none even) say in the matter".
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Never mind dear keep taking the tablets they do seem to be working wonders!
H

I find that very demeaning Purwell.

Pray, do tell. how many English Speakers do you have in your house tonight?

I have one, me,

The rest are Polish and Filipino.

They all pay vast amounts of Tax, we are not Xenophobes, just realists.

I voted out for Political reasons, not financial ones.

You keep on with your trips to the Pub, meet your Momentum Friends.

I will just enjoy my Pensions, which I have not spent in the Pub.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I thought Scottish folks had a vote on whether to leave or stay in the EU same as everyone else. Not sure what you mean weedeek when you say you "have very little (none even) say in the matter".
They did have a say and over 1million voted to Leave.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Just back from holiday and thought this thread had run it’s course..... I suspect you know what I mean but here goes. Scotland is a partner in an unequal union, its population is only 8-9% of the total UK population. We are also politically poles apart. Consequently, in a U.K. wide vote, the result (naturally) will be decided by the much larger partner. In this case Scotland voted to remain (almost overwhelmingly) but will leave with the rest as a result of our view being verwhelmed by the votes of the more right wing English shires.

Page 13 of 17 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top