Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:05 PM

Re: Settling In

I’m unfamiliar with your situation being almost a newbie just reading between the lines that it’s a move that’s been necessary.
I hope you get used to things in time , Rome wasn’t built in a day as they say .
Which brings me to ,if it’s not a rude question why do you call yourself swimfeeders ,can’t work it out although it’s got to be something to do with fish ?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Dig in there SF!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Silver Tabby kindly asked how I was settling in, so decided to start a thread, which will no doubt continue for some while as things change.

Life is very different now, first time in 41 years I have not lived in a detached, so the odd noise from next door is still a novelty.

The stars are not as bright, all the light pollution and the nights are definitely noisier.

The water tastes different, it is horrible, very chemically in taste, even affects the coffee.

I was going to get a larger TV, but mine has suddenly grown, probably due to the fact that the living room is much narrower than my old one.

I am getting far more exercise climbing stairs here, there is only one loo and that is upstairs.

A big difference is having radiators, forgot how much wall space they take up, very restrictive compared to underfloor.

The big thing at the moment is washing up, a novel experience after decades if a dishwasher.

The washing machine is in the kitchen, next to the sink, no room for a dishwasher and tumble drier, my big project to do.

I have no garage and the saddest and strangest thing is that my fishing tackle is in a storage unit 11 miles away, I need a secure shed and get it here pronto.

That all for now, more will follow.
I laughed at the stairs bit, I'm the opposite, no stairs in my bungalow. Boy I've never felt so unfit.

Glad you're slowly getting there. Give it time though. Being used to an area and property for 41 yrs, it's a bit of an eye opener moving to somewhere totally different. Got to get to know yourself, the area, the house you want to make into a home, all over again
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Hi

Only in the village for 11 years, but in a detached for 40.

The move was sensible, last year I could not drive for months, so reliant on Hospital transport, a nightmare.

I looked around at the oldies in the village, stuck there with no life, so moved into the County Town.

No need to drive, even though I am back driving, good public transport and everything I need within walking distance.

Library, doctors, hospital outreach clinics, gym, cafe and four supermarkets.

Lots of social activities as well.

Much better than banging about in a big house in a village with very few amenities.

It is a huge downsize, the conservatory at the old house was bigger than the living/dining room here.

I bought the house as it was a walk in, all done in Laura Ashley and Farrow and Ball.

I am already thinking about painting the walls.

I have a lovely garden with views over to Haughmond Hill, which is stunning.

The view out the front is different, passing hoodies.

I will enjoy it.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:37 PM

Thanks for that, nice town I believe .
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Swimmy you must find space for a dishwasher. Glad you are at last settling in.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:50 PM

Glad ytou moved in okay, Swimmy, but it does beg the question:
With so many negatives you have found about your new home, why didn't you notice these downsides before you took the plunge? there just seems quite a lot wrong with it that you don't like.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Glad ytou moved in okay, Swimmy, but it does beg the question:
With so many negatives you have found about your new home, why didn't you notice these downsides before you took the plunge? there just seems quite a lot wrong with it that you don't like.
Hi

Right area for me and the price was right.

Lovely private back garden as well.

There is nothing I have to do to it, there are things I want to do however.

It is well decorated, rewired, two year old gas boiler, new bathroom and she left all the fitted wardrobes, curtains etc.

No house is ever perfect and it is fun to put your own individual stamp on it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Hi

It is well decorated, rewired, two year old gas boiler, new bathroom and she left all the fitted wardrobes, curtains etc.

Take it steady though, Swimmy, don't wreck your health. How are the corals liking their their new home?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:06 AM

Hi

... sounds good to me! And I'm sure not everyone passing is a hoody.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top