Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:11 PM

Re: Canada-style deal

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Why should it not be as simple as that? Reasons?
Reasons have already been discussed here many times. E.g. the restrictions of most favoured nation meaning you cannot offer any country a better deal than others; unbundling quotas on infinitesimal services etc. No real provision for services. The inflexibility of WTO is probably why nobody uses that option. It's painful expensive and time consuming to renegotiate.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:19 PM

We can and will do deals after Brexit, of that i have no doubt. With change comes new opportunities, new approaches,chances to put right things that have not worked or can be improved.

Its a shame the EU, are so set against this.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
We can and will do deals after Brexit, of that i have no doubt. With change comes new opportunities, new approaches,chances to put right things that have not worked or can be improved.

Its a shame the EU, are so set against this.
Do you think we should have tried harder from within?
Bit late now but, I think we should have stuck up for ourselves more.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Whenever I mention that I am told our politicians are/were useless. Which should put us in a really strong position once we have left the EU with no deal...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
E.g. the restrictions of most favoured nation meaning you cannot offer any country a better deal than others
So if we begin by trading under WTO rules, does that mean we can't agree to trade with one or more individual countries under a separate, mutually beneficial trade agreement?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
What? May or Cameron? You cannot be serious!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 06:15 PM

So if we begin by trading under WTO rules, does that mean we can't agree to trade with one or more individual countries under a separate, mutually beneficial trade agreement?
Hi

No it doesn't, but that is what you are advocating when you say you prefer a No Deal to a Canada style deal.

WTO Free Trade Deals are Canada Style Deals.

It is what we are seeking with the rest of the World after we leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No it doesn't, but that is what you are advocating when you say you prefer a No Deal to a Canada style deal.

WTO Free Trade Deals are Canada Style Deals.

It is what we are seeking with the rest of the World after we leave.
So other independent countries can organise trade agreements between themselves, but we cannot for some reason?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 06:30 PM

So other independent countries can organise trade agreements between themselves, but we cannot for some reason?
Hi

That is not what I have said at all.

We can agree free Trade Agreements with others, without Free Trade Agreements goods and agricultural products are subject to Tariffs and quotas within WTO Rules.

The clue is in the title, Rules, we cannot just do what we want.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-09-2018, 07:00 PM

As I understand it if you offer another country a better deal then you have to go back to the first one and give them that benefit too. Although no idea how that works in practice or whether there are loopholes and there must be exemptions as trade is not directly comparable. Meant to make it a level playing field. It seems pretty nuts. But they think that some countries may want special deals from us as we will be under pressure to close fast and will not agree to what they have now. If you were them would you? Unbundling EU quotas with non EU countries sounds horrendous. It's not something you do overnight. Perhaps the people pushing this have found some way to get around all this.....or maybe they will benefit financially from the chaos.

It's all mind numbingly boring to figure out (the technicalities)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top