Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 09:16 AM

Re: Post office yet again

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry guys... Royal Mail has gone to the dogs since I left....
at least it is going somewhere and not lost.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Get the Boy Scouts to stencil the number on the kerb. They do that here on Bob a Job week to raise money (or at least they used to).
Good idea!
Then realspeed wouldn't have the same excuse.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:28 AM

When we buy anything from an on-line seller we contact the seller and request that they use a courier and not the post office. Sometimes costs a couple of quid but we've never had a seller refuse and with the big name couriers we've always had very prompt delivery and never once had anything lost.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A bit like they do with Victor Meldrew?
That's it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't have a front gate. The end of the cal de sac leads straight onto a three way shared drive with each house having their own drive from it. dead posh it sounds don't it? the photo gives some idea

don't want to appear grand but as soon as you get into this part of the estate you straight away known you are talking about houses in another higher price bracket.
My place ends well before where that bush is on the right well back from the cal de sac so can't or pointless putting my house number there
all the houses are 4 bed and different styles and layouts but match each other.
Ah, perhaps they despise the upper classes?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Get the Boy Scouts to stencil the number on the kerb. They do that here on Bob a Job week to raise money (or at least they used to).
In Gold leaf.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-09-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well I'm not going to disagree with Marge as we all admire her. But you do have a funny address.
sounds more like a Bra size to me.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
In Gold leaf.
You're confusing Bruce's residential area with realspeeds...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:09 PM

Sorry if this strays slightly off-topic - still about the Post Office, though.

Yesterday, Marge and I went to the main post office in Cheadle as she wanted to post an oversized envelope.

The post office must employ the slowest counter staff in the country, if not the world. They really do dawdle. It may not be entirely their fault though, I suppose, as they have to follow all sorts of lengthy procedures: tapping on screens, making hand-written notes, looking up information, etc, etc. Still, they do seem to move with the speed of a somnolent sloth.

When we arrived, the queue wasn't too long; just half-way around the shop. By the time we were attended to, it had stretched out on to the street.

I suspect that part of the reason must be that they have no competition, at least for letters. Parcels, of course, are now handled by any number of courier companies.

On the plus side, though, you can now do other things in the post office, such as cash cheques and other such banking procedures.

I just wish that someone would put a firework up some of their arses now and again!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:31 PM

An urgent or important oversize letter? Put it in a box and courier it. The big boys will even collect it from your door.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top