Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:04 AM

Paypal scam?

PayPal

The way you access your account is changing
Please confirm your phone number.

Hi, ( my name added, but not the one lodged with paypal)

To meet new regulations, Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is being added into the PayPal login.

This means that when you login or pay with PayPal, you may be asked for a one-time code that we send to the phone number you have registered in your profile.

To keep using your PayPal account without interruption, please check that the phone number in your profile is correct.

How to confirm your phone number:

Login to your account or open the PayPal app on your phone

Select the settings icon at the top

Select Your Profile (desktop) or Personal Information (app).

Check your phone number and edit if necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had this sent via email. instantly suspicious and deleted as it might be another way to get into my Paypal account and I am exdirectory anyway. They have Sue's pay as you go mobile number so can't cross check anyway
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:34 AM

Re: Paypal scam?

It's not a scam RS it's genuine I had the same E-mail and changed my phone number, they then sent me a code number on my new number, which I had to type in on my Paypal account in fact I had very much the same E-mails from Barclays and Lloyd's banks which I did the same.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
It's not a scam RS it's genuine I had the same E-mail and changed my phone number, they then sent me a code number on my new number, which I had to type in on my Paypal account in fact I had very much the same E-mails from Barclays and Lloyd's banks which I did the same.

I agree with you Wishbone.
We can't be too careful with so many scams about, but I checked who sent it and it really was from them.

My bank also do this text message to double check some payments too, and it is just extra security we should be grateful for.

Having said this, I did not click the link though.
I am pretty sure they already have my mobile number, but will go into my account and make sure later.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:43 AM

Just checked. First of all it is not the name on the paypal account
and secondly I can go into my account without giving any tele number as they already have my wifes and done the code thingy. So no need for further information.

Remember scammers will try every trick to get access to your money.
Sounds to me as if they are attempting to access your bank detals as well

best to go into you branch and ask them

OOOH MUPS
You did right .Never go onto any link it could be one straight to the scammers
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:47 AM

My bank also do this text message to double check some payments too, and it is just extra security we should be grateful for.

Ditto
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just checked. First of all it is not the name on the paypal account
and secondly I can go into my account without giving any tele number as they already have my wifes and done the code thingy. So no need for further information.

Remember scammers will try every trick to get access to your money.
Sounds to me as if they are attempting to access your bank detals as well

best to go into you branch and ask them
I checked with my banks and they comfirmed the e-mails were genuine...but as a precaution I changed my password with Paypal.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Never EVER EVER think any messages are genuine, ALWAYS contact the Bank/building society on the number on the bill
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-08-2020, 10:51 AM

I checked with my banks and they comfirmed the e-mails were genuine...but as a precaution I changed my password with Paypal.

You did right to double check seperately
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
PayPal

The way you access your account is changing
Please confirm your phone number.

Hi, ( my name added, but not the one lodged with paypal)

To meet new regulations, Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is being added into the PayPal login.

This means that when you login or pay with PayPal, you may be asked for a one-time code that we send to the phone number you have registered in your profile.

To keep using your PayPal account without interruption, please check that the phone number in your profile is correct.

How to confirm your phone number:

Login to your account or open the PayPal app on your phone

Select the settings icon at the top

Select Your Profile (desktop) or Personal Information (app).

Check your phone number and edit if necessary.

It doesn't look like a scam to me because it is not asking you to click a link, it is telling you to go to your account by your normal method and ensure you have a phone number registered.

How can that be a scam?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:56 AM

If in doubt ignore the buggers. If legit they soon get in touch via snail mail.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top