Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 12:13 AM

Autodidacticism

As some of you might recall, I make a bit of an income from private (maths) tuition. A couple of years ago this necessitated me to study Statistics up to A level standard due the new specifications, which was a branch of maths that I have avoided throughout my entire life (my own A levels, Maths degree and teaching beyond the basics in schools). In total, it's probably taken me around 15 hours of study, plus another 15 hours of thinking about things while dozing off, plus another 10 or so hours working through past paper questions. Think I could answer most problems now up to said standard apart from some nuanced/subtle ones.

With that in mind, have any of you done any "hard" studying recently beyond the usual run of the mill stuff?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:00 AM

Re: Autodidacticism

Stats is too easy to be classed as maths.

I've done a lot of hard studying as an adult for professional qualifications so had my fill. But recently I was thinking of taking up biology. I was meant to study it for A level but then changed my mind at age stupid. I was thinking today that I definitely should have gone down the science route. I completed a foundation in psychology ten years ago and that was pretty intensive. So the other option was a masters in that, but I am so indecisive. So I was recently thinking of doing a Biology A level for the fun of it. Then seeing if that lands me in a place where I can do a science masters. It's the practical that puts me off because of the pandemic situation.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 04:46 AM

Level 2 - Understanding Nutrition and Health (Oct 2019 - Feb 2020) was very intense - but interesting. Achieved Grade A pass.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:16 AM

It would be nice to say I had this or that qualification but I haven't. Just couldn't find interest in a subject that made me want to study and take exams on it.

The only exception to not being able to apply myself to studying was 'Logic Gates'. And/Or/Nand/Nor gates, their connectivity and usage. It was fun to work out and draw circuitry that would work in theory, even if I never built and tried it. Maybe there was an exam to be passed there somewhere but knowing me, having to study for a formal exam might have made the interest wane.

Luckily, I grew up and worked in an era where the ability to do a job was enough. A few months trial and I was in. Different today.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:49 AM

'Horses for courses' as they say I married a man who had a brilliant mathematical mind and that is no exaggeration, not many pupils age 14 get offered a place to study at Cambridge.
On the other hand he lacked practical common sense, put a paintbrush in his hand and the end result would make any DIY minded person weep.

I haven't a brain that is wired for maths or academic study, the thought of maths makes my brain cease to function from fear but I have managed to build a 15ft kitchen from scratch (minus the electrics and plumbing) lay tile floors,tile walls, paint and paper to a high standard,cook and sew. I don't like sitting still studying anything, I am more at home in wellingtons walking the muddy fields,training dogs, pulling sheep out of hedges.

I think we need all kinds of people in this world, the academically gifted and the practical and they complement each other .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:58 AM

Gosh I do admire you all especially all that maths .

I like to keep up my Spanish and thought of doing an advanced course sort of A level but TBH I cant be a******

And besides it would be cruelty to the two brain cells that I have left .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:18 AM

Education !!!!! as long as you can read write and add up you are set for life.
Why spend ours of study when you could be earning. Maybe ok or some, but common sense and ability to use ones hands goes a long way.
I didn't do too bad infact better than a lot of brain boxes. Apart from a 5 yr apprenticeship I also took up carpentry at night school
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:57 AM

I suspect that Education, in the form of "go get a degree" hit the buffers when the public were offered all those meaningless new style degrees in everything but the real world.

There was a time when, say in the teaching professions, etc., all degrees earned were front page in every school, and higher, brochure. It was, somewhat a "mine's bigger than yours" environment.

Meanwhile, by the end of the 1960s, companies, and potential employees, were starting to realise that training should be more about what sort of work you want to be doing & at what level.

From that grew the concept that hiring someone with very good basic skills, and the ability to learn in the job, was much preferable to hiring someone whose education would contain too much un-needed stuff - and few workplace skills.

I'm not saying that high education, in such subjects as Technology, is not important. It is important. But the 4, or more, years getting a degree might not be the best conditioning any more.

The skills in the areas of Trades like plumbing, electricals, etc., may well be the most profitable these days?

It's good to have a thinker in the family.

But much better if you have someone who can install and fix things.

(in my opinion)

p.s. "Autodidactism" could be the biggest word I've seen on this forum. I wonder how many had to look it up b4 answering?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I suspect that Education, in the form of "go get a degree" hit the buffers when the public were offered all those meaningless new style degrees in everything but the real world.

There was a time when, say in the teaching professions, etc., all degrees earned were front page in every school, and higher, brochure. It was, somewhat a "mine's bigger than yours" environment.

Meanwhile, by the end of the 1960s, companies, and potential employees, were starting to realise that training should be more about what sort of work you want to be doing & at what level.

From that grew the concept that hiring someone with very good basic skills, and the ability to learn in the job, was much preferable to hiring someone whose education would contain too much un-needed stuff - and few workplace skills.

I'm not saying that high education, in such subjects as Technology, is not important. It is important. But the 4, or more, years getting a degree might not be the best conditioning any more.

The skills in the areas of Trades like plumbing, electricals, etc., may well be the most profitable these days?

It's good to have a thinker in the family.

But much better if you have someone who can install and fix things.

(in my opinion)

p.s. "Autodidactism" could be the biggest word I've seen on this forum. I wonder how many had to look it up b4 answering?
I tend to agree with you Ted, most of my interactions with so called
intellectuals where actually doing something was involved ALLWAYS
ended up with me not only making the decisions but doing all the
work as well !!

Donkeyman! 😇😇
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Education !!!!! as long as you can read write and add up you are set for life.
Why spend ours of study when you could be earning. Maybe ok or some, but common sense and ability to use ones hands goes a long way.
I didn't do too bad infact better than a lot of brain boxes. Apart from a 5 yr apprenticeship I also took up carpentry at night school
Much the same pattern. Good practically and could earn money while still finding time for outdoor young persons activities. However, we do need maths brainboxes and those interested in studying the sciences. We all support each other directly or indirectly. No one course in a productive life is better than another.

I wish some of those brainbox scientists hadn't kept trying to mend their own telly though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top