Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Do you know how much Microsoft make if you cancel your ads?

Windows 10 give users the opportunity to cancel ads at £15.99 a year.
At the end of December 2020 they had 115 million users, so if we all cancelled our ads they would make.......
one billion, eight hundred thirty-eight million, eight hundred fifty thousand pounds every year

If the people advertising on Microsoft are paying the same to advertise, just think how much money those companies & us customers could save if we weren't constantly harassed by the continuous advertising.

I was going to cancel my ads, but on TV you can just get up and make a cup of tea to avoid them... and it costs nothing to do that. Computer ads come up at any time, so there is no chance of avoiding them by doing something else.

Isn't this just another way of trying to get money from us & charging us if we try to stop them?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Re: Do you know how much Microsoft make if you cancel your ads?

That's disgusting. I avoid the TV ads by doing the same thing, Twink. I tried to download an adblocker for my laptop, but I had to remove it as I couldn't access most of the internet because of it!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That's disgusting. I avoid the TV ads by doing the same thing, Twink. I tried to download an adblocker for my laptop, but I had to remove it as I couldn't access most of the internet because of it!
I've had an ad blocker for 2 or 3 years, but it's becoming increasingly useless as sites pop up a window refusing to let you go further until you pause the ad blocker. I've paused it on so many sites now that it's hardly worth keeping it!

The ads I really really hate are the ones that keep jumping down on both sides of the screen every time you scroll down - they don't just smoothly move with the page, they jump, and it is just so effing irritating.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->

The ads I really really hate are the ones that keep jumping down on both sides of the screen every time you scroll down - they don't just smoothly move with the page, they jump, and it is just so effing irritating.
Oh I am so with you on that! And the ones that suddenly loom up halfway through looking/reading whatever it is, and take over the entire page - omg, just NO!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Obviously free sites like this have adverts, as they would not be able to run the site for nothing, but it is easy to ignore the ads you are not interested in.... so I don't mind that!
Cancelling ads can also prevent you from using some free sites

It is the big companies, like Microsoft, that annoy me. Yesterday I was playing games on my PC for about 2 hours & the same ad, for a different game, came up 40 times.

It will get worse because everybody now has cookies so, if you use your PC, companies will be able to get an idea of what you are likely to buy!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

03-03-2021, 11:55 AM

Do you play the Microsoft Solitaire Card games, Twink? The ads for that are insane...lasting 30 seconds before you can begin playing, then just when you think they are finished, they continue for an extra 5 seconds. What the heck??!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

03-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Do you play the Microsoft Solitaire Card games, Twink? The ads for that are insane...lasting 30 seconds before you can begin playing, then just when you think they are finished, they continue for an extra 5 seconds. What the heck??!!
Yes I do Pixie, so I know what you mean. I often wonder if ads on there are designed to make people pay the £15.99 a year to just get rid of them, because £15.99 a year creates a good income if they get it from a thousands of people!
Microsoft don't make the money they do by being reasonable, and the games are a great way to get children to ask parents for money.... so you can get more hints on most games!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 12:06 PM

If you are interested, you can pay a small subscription to this site each year and guess what? No more adds....I spend most of my computer time here so it's great value for money!...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

03-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If you are interested, you can pay a small subscription to this site each year and guess what? No more adds....I spend most of my computer time here so it's great value for money!...
Thanks for that Foxy!
I have to admit that the ads on this site never bother me, because they don't interrupt what I am doing. Perhaps another gold star for this site!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
thanks for that foxy!
I have to admit that the ads on this site never bother me, because they don't interrupt what i am doing. Perhaps another gold star for this site!:-d

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top