Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 10:48 PM

Re: Help me to catch a scammer who got £50K from a widow!

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Was it with Kim Marsh? Most probably called For Love or Money. These are repeats and used to be shown earlier in the mornings on BBC1. I just can’t understand how stupid these people have been.
Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Jazzi, l would say you’re right as ‘Love Or Money’ was the first programme l thought of. I honestly don’t know how women can be taken in and then hand over all their money? It must be they are so desperate to find love and momentarily lose their mind?

£50,000? I’d say the woman got off lightly! I heard on the radio about a woman who handed over £850,000 to a man she met. He told her all sorts of lies but she was taken in.

She has now written a book about it, so may recoup some money back but in a different way.
I thought I might have seen a similar programme but couldn't think further than that. Having searched to find more of that series is on iPlayer. Series 2: episode 1 on the link below seems familiar and might be the one I was thinking about. 12 episodes are to be found here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-love-or-money
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
This is a strange request but, in the last week I turned on my TV and watched a programme about a widowed lady who met a man on the internet & he managed to con her out of £50K.
My problem is that I can't remember the name of the programme or which channel it was on.... so I am hoping one of you may have seen it & can tell me.

Why do I ask?

Well the man used a fake photo , which they showed on TV, and I have now been approached by a man from Ontario who's photo looks almost identical.
I won't be conned by him, but he was never caught so I may continue chatting to him and advise the people who made the programme, in the hope they can catch him.

I know there is a very slim chance that any of you saw this programme, but if you did, can you please tell me so I can let them know that I may be in touch with him.
The lady was plump, had blonde hair and was probably in her late 50's. She may have been silly to believe him but she was lonely, having lost her husband, & she has now lost all the money which was probably from his life insurance.
Forgive me, Twink, but I think you are foolish to become involved. I appreciate it is hard to see someone scammed in this way - but - to reveal so much information on a public forum is risky to say the least - especially as you have already revealed in another thread that you are not in the best of health and therefore vulnerable!

Please, please, take care!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I think our Twink is more than capable of dealing with a scammer and is far too clever to meet someone without everything in place.
Thank you Swim! I am not stupid enough to try and catch him myself but the programme said the fraud squad were unable to find him, but they may be able to locate him if they tell me what to do.
The last one I dealt with was told " Sorry you are short of money but you wont get any from me as I know you are a scammer".... but that didn't get him arrested, so I will do all I can to help.
Many of these ladies are lonely and possibly naive to believe what the men tell them, but they shouldn't be ripped off by criminals.
If nobody tries to help this will continue, and often the ladies are too embarrassed to report it or tell friends This lady did so I will so whatever I can to help her!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 07:55 AM

Thank you Swim! I am not stupid enough to try and catch him myself but the programme said the fraud squad were unable to find him, but they may be able to locate him if they tell me what to do.
The last one I dealt with was told " Sorry you are short of money but you wont get any from me as I know you are a scammer".... but that didn't get him arrested, so I will do all I can to help.
Many of these ladies are lonely and possibly naive to believe what the men tell them, but they shouldn't be ripped off by criminals.
If nobody tries to help this will continue, and often the ladies are too embarrassed to report it or tell friends This lady did so I will so whatever I can to help her!

If nobody tries to help, it will continue......it will continue, whether you help or not!.

Unless you have been given permission by the powers to be that you can pursue this matter, you are taking the law into your own hands.

I would also think you have enough to deal with at this precise moment, with your sugar levels and going into hypos.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 08:19 AM

Thank you for your replies, but I have been doing this for a long time & know the fraud people have little chance of catching them because very few are stupid enough to give you their real names or where they live.
I started to search through the 735 pages of scammers... but only got to 80 & I think I have chatted to 2 of them in the past. The problem is that I am sure many of them use fake photos ( of innocent people) so one mans photos can be used by a number of scammers. I even kept a photo of one scammer on my PC ...very handsome but the biggest liar on the planet.
Many of them use forums to find new ladies, but I think OFF is not a good one for them, mainly because you cannot send PM's for 3 months.... and they don't want to wait that long.
I can pick them out after a short chat, but don't tell them & I never give them personal info about me.
Criticizing the naive women won't help anybody, but I am happy to help the Fraud people in any way I can!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

09-05-2021, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
If nobody tries to help, it will continue......it will continue, whether you help or not!.

Unless you have been given permission by the powers to be that you can pursue this matter, you are taking the law into your own hands.

I would also think you have enough to deal with at this precise moment, with your sugar levels and going into hypos.
You are wrong Pauline, When I contacted the police on a similar matter they told me they are pleased to get any info on these matters. The only reason I started this thread was to get the name of the programme so I could speak to them to establish the man who contacted me was the same person & offer to help if the police needed me to!

As for my health, I have made it clear to the NHS that I want a change of insulin, and am speaking to somebody who can help on Monday morning. It is the insulin that is faulty ( I have already thrown away 8 vials & believe it is not stable when removed from the fridge to put in my pen ... as I have been told to!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 08:50 AM

You are wrong Pauline, When I contacted the police on a similar matter they told me they are pleased to get any info on these matters. The only reason I started this thread was to get the name of the programme so I could speak to them to establish the man who contacted me was the same person & offer to help if the police needed me to!

As for my health, I have made it clear to the NHS that I want a change of insulin, and am speaking to somebody who can help on Monday morning. It is the insulin that is faulty ( I have already thrown away 8 vials & believe it is not stable when removed from the fridge to put in my pen ... as I have been told to!

Then you should have explained that on your OP.

I’m not a mind reader, indeed give police information, you made it sound like you were going to do all of this by yourself...

As for being wrong, you are wrong if you take it into your own hands.

Inform the police by all means....that’s as far as it goes...your on about being in contact with this guy, what’s that about then...?
We’re you advised by the police to communicate with him?

I doubt that very much,

Scammers will always be in our midst...ever since I can remember,cheats, thieves, robbers have always existed.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

09-05-2021, 08:53 AM

This is a strange request but, in the last week I turned on my TV and watched a programme about a widowed lady who met a man on the internet & he managed to con her out of £50K.
My problem is that I can't remember the name of the programme or which channel it was on.... so I am hoping one of you may have seen it & can tell me.

Why do I ask?

Well the man used a fake photo , which they showed on TV, and I have now been approached by a man from Ontario who's photo looks almost identical.
I won't be conned by him, but he was never caught so I may continue chatting to him and advise the people who made the programme, in the hope they can catch him.

I know there is a very slim chance that any of you saw this programme, but if you did, can you please tell me so I can let them know that I may be in touch with him.
The lady was plump, had blonde hair and was probably in her late 50's. She may have been silly to believe him but she was lonely, having lost her husband, & she has now lost all the money which was probably from his life insurance.

There you go, you say you have been chatting to him....did the police advise you to do that?

If he contacted me and I recognised him from that programme, I would “ NOT” be chatting to him....I would inform the police straight away, hand it over to them, or the tv programme,they are the professionals not you or me.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

09-05-2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Then you should have explained that on your OP.

I’m not a mind reader, indeed give police information, you made it sound like you were going to do all of this by yourself...

As for being wrong, you are wrong if you take it into your own hands.

Inform the police by all means....that’s as far as it goes...your on about being in contact with this guy, what’s that about then...?
We’re you advised by the police to communicate with him?

I doubt that very much,

Scammers will always be in our midst...ever since I can remember,cheats, thieves, robbers have always existed.
You haven't understood what I said! All I wanted to do was contact the programme to establish that I was talking to the same man, and if so I would be happy to give info to the police. That is why I am continuing to chat with him, in case the police want me to get any info from him !
No point in telling the police if it isn't the same man.

I am not going to argue any further as I have been reporting scammers for years, but until I establish that this is the same man that scammed the lady ( and I can't do that till I have shown his photo to the Programme) because I wont risk accusing an innocent man!).
I only saw his photo for a few seconds in TV, and this man made contact with me the next day. I wont say how because he may be reading this and my name & photo are different where he contacted me!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

09-05-2021, 09:13 AM

You haven't understood what I said! All I wanted to do was contact the programme to establish that I was talking to the same man, and if so I would be happy to give info to the police. That is why I am continuing to chat with him, in case the police want me to get any info from him !
No point in telling the police if it isn't the same man.

I am not going to argue any further as I have been reporting scammers for years, but until I establish that this is the same man that scammed the lady ( and I can't do that till I have shown his photo to the Programme) because I wont risk accusing an innocent man!).

Oh I understood alright, whose arguing?..I’m voicing my opinion.this is a discussion forum..you do what ever you like, you’ve had some good advice from a few on here, so they must have misunderstood your OP as well then.

Anyway ,I’m out of here, I’ve made my point.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top