Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Re: Recycling worry

Dump it in a field like the 'travellers' do. They don't get fined.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I'm probably being a bit dense but does anyone know if like us, when the binmen collect our recycled rubbish on a fortnightly basis, do council rubbish collection vehicles have separate compartments on the back of the lorry.
We do our utmost to do our bit for the environment and diligently separate our glass, plastic, paper etc, but when looking at them emptying each of the bins/boxes, they all seem to look as though they are all being emptied into the same place on the lorry?

Someone even told me that it is a waste of time recycling as most of the separated recycling either ends up in landfill or sent abroad lumped together??

Does anyone know?

They're separate lorries here, Shroppy.
One comes and empties the landfill waste, and another one comes along a bit later and empties the recycling bins.
Can't remember who takes the food waste caddy.

As far as I know, it looks like all the recycling goes in together, just as all the landfill does.

I think the recycling is sorted at the other end, in the depot or something, because on telly a while ago, it was saying how some people put out dirty, cans and bottles, and it contaminates the rest of the stuff, so that whole load has to go to landfill instead, then.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Mups you have wealth of information for me but yet again ,not happening round here
We did have one of those containers you described so well ,but for some reason it was done away with .
After that we were told we could leave those items on a certain week outside our doors .Then that was done away with so that we’re left with the current predicament .
The local Sainsbury (taxi ride away) has quite a lot of containers in the car park but none for clothing etc . Grrrrr !
Yes I’ve been online on the council website but there’s nowhere to submit my kind of question .
Anyway I’ve parcelled some items up in a carrier bag marked “rags for recycling “Will take to a charity shop .

Goodness, your council sound a bit of a dead loss, Zuleiker.
I'm out of ideas now, sorry.
Hope you find a solution.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 04:48 AM

Ok so now what about used bed linen ,towels , clothing not good enough for charity shops ?
We have quite a few of those 'Hand Car Wash' people around here - and they are always grateful for old towels etc., for drying/polishing the cars.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 07:59 AM

Ditto dog sanctuaries .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Phone the council and ask, failing that put it in one of their street litter bins.
but big brothers watching, cameras everywhere, are you tranna get her locked up Roxy
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 12:17 PM

If you have a garden bury it ( it will be dug up in centuries to come .)
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They're separate lorries here, Shroppy.
One comes and empties the landfill waste, and another one comes along a bit later and empties the recycling bins.
Can't remember who takes the food waste caddy.

As far as I know, it looks like all the recycling goes in together, just as all the landfill does.

I think the recycling is sorted at the other end, in the depot or something, because on telly a while ago, it was saying how some people put out dirty, cans and bottles, and it contaminates the rest of the stuff, so that whole load has to go to landfill instead, then.
We have this regime .

Stuff that can't be recycled ....wagon comes every 2 weeks.

Cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, some food containers , yoghurt cartons ......wagon comes every month . ( I always wash mine out)

Paper and cardboard ......wagon comes every month .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-12-2019, 03:14 PM

We have this regime .

Stuff that can't be recycled ....wagon comes every 2 weeks.

Cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, some food containers , yoghurt cartons ......wagon comes every month . ( I always wash mine out)

Paper and cardboard ......wagon comes every month .

Oh. Our paper and cardboard goes in with the plastics, glass bottles and cans. It is collected fortnightly.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top