Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:22 PM

What a difference a carton makes!

I have recently taken a strong liking to a certain supermarket's own brand macaroni cheese dish.

Ok, ok, I know I should just make my own, but if I'm ill, or just don't want the faff of cooking, it's nice to have a couple of favourites in the freezer!

Most macaroni cheeses from supermarkets aren't very nice, imo, but this one is yummy.

Anyway, I stocked up with this. It came in a round foil dish.

Today I was in said supermarket and decided to replenish my dwindling stocks of it.

Couldn't find it! Looked and looked and looked.

Then I saw something very similar, but it was a square foil dish, and a lot smaller. So I bought it anyway.

Got it home, and found it sort of tasted the same, but I wasn't sure.

Why had they made it so much smaller, I asked myself?

Puzzled, I looked at the weight of it. 375g.

I looked in my freezer, and got one of the old round ones out.
Looked at the weight... 375g!

All they had done was repackage it in a differently shaped foil dish, but it had completely thrown me!

And it wasn't smaller, either, just a different foil dish!

Silly old me!

Just goes to show, though!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Re: What a difference a carton makes!

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I have recently taken a strong liking to a certain supermarket's own brand macaroni cheese dish.

Ok, ok, I know I should just make my own, but if I'm ill, or just don't want the faff of cooking, it's nice to have a couple of favourites in the freezer!

Most macaroni cheeses from supermarkets aren't very nice, imo, but this one is yummy.

Anyway, I stocked up with this. It came in a round foil dish.

Today I was in said supermarket and decided to replenish my dwindling stocks of it.

Couldn't find it! Looked and looked and looked.

Then I saw something very similar, but it was a square foil dish, and a lot smaller. So I bought it anyway.

Got it home, and found it sort of tasted the same, but I wasn't sure.

Why had they made it so much smaller, I asked myself?

Puzzled, I looked at the weight of it. 375g.

I looked in my freezer, and got one of the old round ones out.
Looked at the weight... 375g!

All they had done was repackage it in a differently shaped foil dish, but it had completely thrown me!

And it wasn't smaller, either, just a different foil dish!

Silly old me!

Just goes to show, though!

But was the price different Pyxell ??? - Supermarkets do this in order to either reduce the contents or increase the price.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Pyxell, Going by the thread heading, l thought you usually bought your macaroni cheese in a bottle! You know, like milk used to before it came in cartons!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
But was the price different Pyxell ??? - Supermarkets do this in order to either reduce the contents or increase the price.
To be honest, I couldn't remember what the round ones cost, as I'd had them in the freezer a while.

However, the weight was the same, so they hadn't done the Mars Bar trick!

It could just be a storage thing...... rectangles stack with less wasted space than circles, and maybe less aluminium was used.

I still have a round one in the freezer, so next time I eat it, I'll compare the weight of the round dish with the rectangular dish, minus the contents.

For some reason though, the square ones don't look as tasty as the round ones!
Pyxell
South of England

31-05-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pyxell, Going by the thread heading, l thought you usually bought your macaroni cheese in a bottle! You know, like milk used to before it came in cartons!
Silly eejit!

EDIT:
If Artangel is about to make a million from this idea, she is no longer a silly eejit at all.......and should just remember where the idea came from!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Not sure which brand you buy but 'Amy's' Do a nice one although it is a bit small for the price .... tastes lovely though.
Pyxell
South of England

31-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not sure which brand you buy but 'Amy's' Do a nice one although it is a bit small for the price .... tastes lovely though.
Never heard of Amy's! Where do you get it?

The one I'm talking about is Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Vintage Cheddar one. (Not their standard one...... as said previously, all other ones I've tried from various supermarkets and various brands so far haven't been very nice).
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:41 PM

Silly eejit!

I thought it was a new trend to put dinners in cartons!
Don’t knock it, l might have just had an ingenious idea! .... Excuse me, whilst l head over to the, ‘Light bulb moment’ thread and hope Heinz or Crosse and Blackwell are looking in!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Never heard of Amy's! Where do you get it?

The one I'm talking about is Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Vintage Cheddar one. (Not their standard one...... as said previously, all other ones I've tried from various supermarkets and various brands so far haven't been very nice).
Funnily enough, I spotted the Sainsbury's Taste difference one just this morning and thought it looked nice. Sainsbury's also do Amy's but it is in the frozen section.
Pyxell
South of England

31-05-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Funnily enough, I spotted the Sainsbury's Taste difference one just this morning and thought it looked nice. Sainsbury's also do Amy's but it is in the frozen section.
I'll have look when I'm next in.

I must admit that, after years of being very disappointed with shop-bought mac cheese, I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. I reckon it's because they use a much more mature cheese.

Cheese sauce made with a milder cheese just has no flavour.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top