Join for free
Page 332 of 370 « First < 232 282 322 330 331 332 333 334 342 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 03:20 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Oh, gosh, I have fallen behind again.

ST, I am so terribly sorry. A post I wrote to you disappeared . Most likely due to my failure to hit the "post" button. Brilliant thing I am! Congratulations on your workout! It encompasses all of your major muscle groups with a good amount of stretching. As they increase the number and sets, don't feel bad about going at your own pace. You'll be more inclined to stick with it that way. Between your walks, this workout, and your sunny disposition, you seem to have it all figured out!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 03:33 AM

Hi, Tachyon! Good to hear from you. Taking care of our mothers is a privilege after all they have given us and certainly worth giving up a little in our fitness regimens for a time.

I have to say that I admire you and your physicians for staying on top of your health so vigorously. Those treatments sound miserable, but you are ever doing what you have to do.

Hi, Floydy! Every day is one day closer...
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanks Floydy and Surfermom, I appreciate the kind comments which have cheered me up. I did the two injections last night and I can tell you a 12mm needle into the waist stings out of all proportion to the relatively small size. Still, only tonight to go and the injections to speed up clot breakdown are over.

I'm just wondering if my previous bout or two of chestiness this year were maybe the onset of the problem that I currently have, and not simply an infection as I thought. If so it's weird that I could train for all those months! Anyway, I just wanted to say if anyone has similar symptoms and just puts it down to a virus, I would get yourselves checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

Best wishes all of you!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

16-11-2019, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Thanks Floydy and Surfermom, I appreciate the kind comments which have cheered me up. I did the two injections last night and I can tell you a 12mm needle into the waist stings out of all proportion to the relatively small size. Still, only tonight to go and the injections to speed up clot breakdown are over.

I'm just wondering if my previous bout or two of chestiness this year were maybe the onset of the problem that I currently have, and not simply an infection as I thought. If so it's weird that I could train for all those months! Anyway, I just wanted to say if anyone has similar symptoms and just puts it down to a virus, I would get yourselves checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

Best wishes all of you!
You are a tough one, Tachyon, I am not sure I would have the will to do that. Very good advice though, I am putting into my mental files. Most appreciated.

It was chilly and windy, but even with a late departure I squeezed in four miles, expecting to have managed none. Hope you all are getting along safely!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Well. I'm back!
I returned to the gym yesterday after being absent since my last proper session way back on the 26th August, when the hernia and the pulled back muscle which has caused me so many problems.

A month now since my operation and although it took me an absolute age to motivate myself to get myself together, I entered the gym and completed a thorough enjoyable hour on the treadmill and the bike (40/20 minutes respectively).
I took it steady to begin with and with no problems from my post-op I started to really tramp that treadmill, playing around with the inclines and striding out as far as my legs would go before I'd end up doping the splits! headphones on with some fantastically wonderful mid-80's electro-dance rock, I moved onto the bike and powered my legs up to go as fast as they would carry me, sometimes causing the bike to teeter from side to side almost falling over.

It was as is I'd never been away and I was quite amazed how my legs could suddenly spring back into action after being dormant for two and a half months sat in a chair. Loved every second.

So with my second operation taking place on the 28th of this month I'm now taking the opportunity to go to the gym every day (pending what my wife wants me to do of course) to do either cardio or some high rep exercises. When I do the weights, I will only be doing machine exercises whereby I can sit down. No way am I doing anything that involves "standing up pulling work" as that could affect my operation/wound, but things such as bicep curls I may go heavier as I can be seated doing those with no stress on the abdomen. The other thing I will never do again is direct abs crunches; that would be foolhardy and I'll leave general cardio (and from January, outdoor running) and of course my diet to take care of my midriff situation.

Physically, I have put weight on around my middle, but nothing I can't lose rather soon, that's mainly because I haven't been at work I guess, being inactive at home - but the contrary side of that is positive because it means I haven't been eating those extra night snacks, so that's a good thing.
Muscular-wise, I'm still in pretty good shape considering the lay-off from exercise. After yesterday's cardio, my legs have suddenly bulked-up again to their usual shape which is reassuring. I was looking rather thin and wasted while I was absent from the gym. My chest, shoulders and arms will soon follow, starting today I reckon with some upper body work on light weights with lots of reps, Tachyon-stylee!

Back later with my report. Gee, it's great to be back!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Good to see you back Floydy, just don't go mad.....
I went on an early morning eight mile gallivant in the rain around country roads with water lapping up both sides, but I'm pleased to announce that the level of the river Don has dropped and the houses in and around Bramwith look like they have avoided the flooding....Meanwhile back on the road, I felt surprisingly strong right to the end, and it looks like Surfermoms advice has paid off.....

She suggested it might be my diminishing quad strength that was letting me down. Although I don't like the idea of squats (bad for the knees) everyday I've been doing some very hard resistance work on the static bike....One minute of eyeballs out cycling with it set at a very hard resistance setting..... I dismount hardly able to stand and gasping for breath....Anaerobic I think they call it, I call it 'Bloody Hard!'

Anyway, that takes the scores on the doors (mileage for this year) to 995.9......One more five miler on Tuesday should do it....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 04:16 AM

I think, Bob, that's it's wise not to start doing 'squats' at your age. No offence at all intended, it's just that starting anything which puts pressure on our joints as we age just isn't a good thing. Look at me with my knee issues a couple of years ago - it floored me for a while and the reason I gave up squats myself (after at one time pushing 300kg+, was that it was because of lower back problems and seeing others damage their knees. Nothing wrong with Suzie suggesting it, I just think there comes a time where we need to evaluate things and think 'Do I really need to do this?'

Meanwhile, I did my second gym session yesterday and without going into detail (I'll leave the lengthy detailed write-ups for when I get a rigid plan back together in January), I did some effective and mildly gruelling high reps on the upper body.
Briefly, some lat pulls, shoulders presses, chest presses, fly and delt pulls, pec deck and tricep extensions. It all went very well and today I'll be doing a similar thing on the legs, Probably just half an hour on high reps but it's all very nice and accumulative towards my regaining of fitness levels after so long away.

It's good to catch up with things in here. Tachyon - keep it going buddy, you'll be back in no time. It's what we do mate
And Tabby, brilliant workout there gal - keep us posted on these sessions, we need more folk in here. Well done there!

Talk again later, have a good day all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

18-11-2019, 05:57 AM

How fun it is to check in and read such good news!

I am tickled pink to find that you're back at the gym, Floydy! I know how central it is to your fitness and it sounds like you had a great time. Isn't interesting how after so many years of working out ...or running...or riding a bike, that it comes back to us so quickly. There is definitely something to set point. It sounds like you'll be going in for the next round of surgery in great condition. Well done!

OGF, I never doubted that you would make it to your 1K mark. Congratulations (almost )! Do let us know when you cross that imaginary finish line. That cycling sounds like it's doing the trick. I bought a stationary bike to use in the colder months, so you've inspired me to give it a go. I suspect that my own subtle decline may be leg-related. Doctor, heal thyself? Just maybe!.

I'm about to do a presentation on Karenia brevis, the dinoflagellate responsible for red tides, so I've had my nose in the research all weekend. I did come up for air long enough to run and today my daughter likewise broke from her studies to join me. We had the whole sportsplex to ourself. 5 miles and a few tenths.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I think, Bob, that's it's wise not to start doing 'squats' at your age. No offence at all intended, it's just that starting anything which puts pressure on our joints as we age just isn't a good thing. Look at me with my knee issues a couple of years ago - it floored me for a while and the reason I gave up squats myself (after at one time pushing 300kg+, was that it was because of lower back problems and seeing others damage their knees. Nothing wrong with Suzie suggesting it, I just think there comes a time where we need to evaluate things and think 'Do I really need to do this?'

Meanwhile, I did my second gym session yesterday and without going into detail (I'll leave the lengthy detailed write-ups for when I get a rigid plan back together in January), I did some effective and mildly gruelling high reps on the upper body.
Briefly, some lat pulls, shoulders presses, chest presses, fly and delt pulls, pec deck and tricep extensions. It all went very well and today I'll be doing a similar thing on the legs, Probably just half an hour on high reps but it's all very nice and accumulative towards my regaining of fitness levels after so long away.

It's good to catch up with things in here. Tachyon - keep it going buddy, you'll be back in no time. It's what we do mate
And Tabby, brilliant workout there gal - keep us posted on these sessions, we need more folk in here. Well done there!

Talk again later, have a good day all
Non taken Floydy, I really respect all the advice, especially from you and Surfermom, we've all been at it long enough to know what works and what doesn't....
I've lost count over the years of how many of my running friends and colleagues have had to pack up running due to knee trouble. Even as we speak Mrs Fox is waiting for a new knee operation and is feeling so frustrated that she can no longer go out on her daily walk....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
How fun it is to check in and read such good news!

I am tickled pink to find that you're back at the gym, Floydy! I know how central it is to your fitness and it sounds like you had a great time. Isn't interesting how after so many years of working out ...or running...or riding a bike, that it comes back to us so quickly. There is definitely something to set point. It sounds like you'll be going in for the next round of surgery in great condition. Well done!

OGF, I never doubted that you would make it to your 1K mark. Congratulations (almost )! Do let us know when you cross that imaginary finish line. That cycling sounds like it's doing the trick. I bought a stationary bike to use in the colder months, so you've inspired me to give it a go. I suspect that my own subtle decline may be leg-related. Doctor, heal thyself? Just maybe!.

I'm about to do a presentation on Karenia brevis, the dinoflagellate responsible for red tides, so I've had my nose in the research all weekend. I did come up for air long enough to run and today my daughter likewise broke from her studies to join me. We had the whole sportsplex to ourself. 5 miles and a few tenths.
All seems so right with the world when I come in here and read that everyone is getting out and doing their stuff, it's so encouraging....
I can really recommend the bike Surfermom, it's so handy to just pop on it anytime of the day and just put out a couple of miles, but the eyeballs out sessions should be done sparingly...

Ah yes!....the old Karenia Brevis problem.....
Seriously though, we have had problems with 'Green Algae' in our lakes and ponds round here, it has been having a serious effect on our freshwater pondlife, I have always wondered if it's due to 'run off' getting into the drainage ditches by chemicals used on the crops....

Good to see your daughter accompanying you out on what is, a very respectable distance... Give her my regards....

Looks like tomorrows run will tip me over the edge (in more ways than one) and I'm thinking what to write in my report already....

Page 332 of 370 « First < 232 282 322 330 331 332 333 334 342 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top