Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:43 AM

Re: Poverty in the UK ?

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Short of finding some way of temporarily sterilising those who don't have the financial, intellectual nor emotional abilities to procreate and rear a child, there doesn't seem to be a plausable way of reducing the problem.
We're hopefully not going down the Nazi route!

If you end up with only those who are wealthy, intellectual and non empathetic, whose going to wipe bums in nursing homes, clean streets etc?

Cloud cuckoo land seems to be where a lot of boomers are living!
We actually need other people's children, poor or otherwise. Every person who does anything for you is someone's child.
Now we're going to have to pay back a load of debt we need youngsters to be looked after and educated no matter who their parents are.

I really despair of the logic of some of my generation.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The definition of poverty in the UK involves a formula based on the mean average income.

While that is the case there will ALWAYS people who are said to be living in poverty.

There is absolutely no need for ANYONE in the UK to live in absolute poverty except perhaps illegals and I don't give a flying Aylesbury about them. They could die in the gutter for all I care in fact because they are illegal they eat by means of crime so if they did it would be a damned good thing.
I am of the same opinion, that is... there is no reason for anyone in the UK to live in absolute poverty.

But I've been informed people do... immigrant families are living in much the same conditions as a third world country here in the UK.

Now only speaking about the areas I know, I will say this is definitely not true from around here.... Families/children starving !, Please tell me this is not so.

Even illegal immigrants, especially children shouldn't be allowed to starve or live in what I call poverty here in the UK.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
I am of the same opinion, that is... there is no reason for anyone in the UK to live in absolute poverty.

But I've been informed people do... immigrant families are living in much the same conditions as a third world country here in the UK.

Now only speaking about the areas I know, I will say this is definitely not true from around here.... Families/children starving !, Please tell me this is not so.

Even illegal immigrants, especially children shouldn't be allowed to starve or live in what I call poverty here in the UK.
Totally disagree where illegals are concerned.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We're hopefully not going down the Nazi route!.
Clearly not. Was simply pointing out that unless some mind of means testing is put in place, there are always going to be those families who cost more than they contribute, and who continue to expand without any apparent regard for those who have to pick up the tab.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:11 PM

Clearly not. Was simply pointing out that unless some mind of means testing is put in place, there are always going to be those families who cost more than they contribute, and who continue to expand without any apparent regard for those who have to pick up the tab.
The Nazis abused eugenics. It's tragic that they did. Eugenics actually has a great many positive benefits to mankind as far as removing faulty genes from the human gene pool.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:15 PM

"It takes a village to raise a child" so I've heard. I think children are our best investments.
Where do you draw the line on who should breed? If everything comes down to money it's a sad World.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

09-07-2020, 01:24 PM

"It takes a village to raise a child" so I've heard. I think children are our best investments.
Where do you draw the line on who should breed? If everything comes down to money it's a sad World.
The line is where faulty genes are going to perpetuate genetic diseases.

Restrictions on numbers in the first case by abolishing child benefits and replacing them with child taxes.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 02:05 PM

True, but since this thread is about "poverty" (it's current definition in terms of percentiles away from the average (which one - mode, median or mean??) income) and how it is "relative" (again compared to some kind of financial status), then it seems fair to discuss it on those terms.

But I agree that one shouldn't punish children for the sins of their fathers. Just wish that some fathers (and indeed mothers) would take a bit more time reflecting on the responsibilities involved in giving birth and bringing a child up before they start copulating without taking precautions.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
the definition of poverty in the uk involves a formula based on the mean average income.

While that is the case there will always people who are said to be living in poverty.

There is absolutely no need for anyone in the uk to live in absolute poverty except perhaps illegals and i don't give a flying aylesbury about them. They could die in the gutter for all i care in fact because they are illegal they eat by means of crime so if they did it would be a damned good thing.

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

09-07-2020, 05:20 PM

One could easily remove poverty by changing the formula which defines them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top