Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 05:40 PM

Re: Another civil servant retires!!

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Almost anyone can be a temporary civil servant and I have been employed in that capacity by the DWP and the Insolvency Service, as have thousands of others. In fact, I think the policy nowadays is to employ most civil servants on short-term contacts.
So did you work through an agency then Omah or did you apply
for the post yourself??
Was the post advertised in any way?? Or do they keep a reservior
of redundant staff on standby??
I find these things very interesting nowadays for some reason!

Donkeyman! 😁😁
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
So did you work through an agency then Omah or did you apply
for the post yourself??
Was the post advertised in any way?? Or do they keep a reservior
of redundant staff on standby??
I find these things very interesting nowadays for some reason!
Donkeyman! 😁😁
I last worked as a civil servant in 2006. I cannot say where I worked but it was alongside 4,500 others. Most of the managers were career-oriented and were moved around the UK (and abroad). Those lower down tended to start as a temporary employee to deal with the administration of legislative change and then re-apply for the same or more senior positions locally when their contract ended. Competition for advertised posts was fierce since pay and conditions were equal and good. It was common to find several members/generations of a family working in the same building, so there was a "pool" of skilled personnel.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the link Omah!
So they class Cummins as a tempory civil servant?
Is there such a class of civil servant? or is that just the express
newspaper definition, it is not entirely clear about that??
It does clear up the fact that his salary comes from the taxpayer,
which could be expected l think?however that does'nt mean he is on
the civil service payroll ??Ptobably his money comes from the PMs
staff allowance?
It does seem a little extravagant to me but then all that lot seem
that way to me!!

Donkeyman! 👎😁👎
More on Cummings:

Cummings past roles and his remuneration for them have never been clear but he was definitely special adviser (spad) and Chief of Staff to Gove at the Department for Education (DfE) (2007–2014).

On 24 July 2019, Cummings was appointed as Chief Adviser (presumably a spad) to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, a new position created by Johnson, to replace the role of Downing Street Chief of Staff.

Special Advisers

https://www.civilservant.org.uk/spads-homepage.html

Governments have pretty well always recruited a small number of temporary advisers or experts to supplement the support available from the permanent (an in recent years) apolitical civil service.

Special Advisers are, as their name suggests, a special type of civil servant.
There are a number of reasons why Ministers find it helpful to have the modern form of Special Advisers (aka SpAds or Spads) within No.10 and within Ministerial Departments.

The first and obvious reason is that it gives Ministers immediate and simultaneous access to a friendly and familiar face offering political advice to be considered alongside that from mainstream civil servants. It is not surprising that many Ministers prefer to have near them devils that they know rather than devils they don’t know - especially at the beginning of their time in government. They have chosen them (rather than had them imposed upon them) unlike their civil servants and often their departmental junior Ministers - and they are likely to have compatible personalities.

The second, equally obvious, reason is that SpAds can give strong political advice, help draft political speeches etc., thus providing an extra pair of hands when there is ever-increasing pressure on Ministerial time.

And the third, also very strong, reason is that Special Advisers can often provide a different perspective – a counterpoint, if you will – to the advice emanating from the official machine. Officials' recommendations may require Ministers to take unacceptable political risks - or indeed operational and financial risk. (The NAO’s view is not that civil servants are risk averse. It is that civil servants too often do not understand the risks that are associated with what they want to do.) Or officials' advice may be too cautious and/or reflect a certain inertia carried over from the policies of a different Minister – including a different Minister within the same party.

All Ministerial departments therefore have one or more Special Advisers (often abbreviated to "Spads") who are personal appointees of the Secretary of State but employed as temporary civil servants.
There's more on that link .....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
More on Cummings:

Cummings past roles and his remuneration for them have never been clear but he was definitely special adviser (spad) and Chief of Staff to Gove at the Department for Education (DfE) (2007–2014).

On 24 July 2019, Cummings was appointed as Chief Adviser (presumably a spad) to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, a new position created by Johnson, to replace the role of Downing Street Chief of Staff.

Special Advisers

https://www.civilservant.org.uk/spads-homepage.html

There's more on that link .....
I think it answers all my questions Omah!
Thank you!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 10:05 AM

It really comes down to the civil service being far too powerful, far too unaccountable, far too big and needing to be MADE to obey the democratically elected government.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

11-07-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It really comes down to the civil service being far too powerful, far too unaccountable, far too big and needing to be MADE to obey the democratically elected government.
Exactly that Todger!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 07:53 PM

Exactly that Todger!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
DM!

How can you tell if a Civil Servant stops working?

Is there some sort of test?

Can you stick a meter on him?

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
DM!

Departmental performance improves. Back in the dim and distant past when I used to cut code when a program development started to slip one of the very first actions was to reduce headcount.

It worked.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 08:18 PM

Hi

Civil Servants are employed to give Impartial advice.

SPADs are not.

There are times you have to say Bollox to your Political Masters.

They are not experts in their field.

Once you have said Bollox your job is to do what they say.

They are elected, you are not.

I am content with that.

SPADS work both ways.

If Corbyn had won the last election you would have had some right nutters ruling the roost.

Beware of making the Civil Service Political, that is the way of Dictatorships.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-07-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
DM!

The question should be " How can you tell when he/she STARTS
work Ted??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top