Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Re: Unwanted Medicine

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Keep 'em !! You never know when you might need them.

Suppose there's some kind of delay getting your meds? A national catastrophe etc etc

We should all have a basic supply of medications for a "just in case" scenario and accordingly everyone should have the basic education on how and when to use them. I certainly do.

Sorry, but I do not agree with that that at all. I think that could be bad advice.

Someone might be on entirely different meds at a later date, which could easily interact badly with the old medicine.

Anyway, where are all these old medicines coming from?
The only way people can have left over meds, is if they haven't taken them properly, and finished the course when they should have in the first place.

Lastly, I thought you didn't agree with taking prescription drugs anyway Realist, you are so opposed to the medical profession and usually recommend grapefruit extract for most things.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:17 PM

I was left with a lot of boxed tablets when my pharmacy changed me over to dosset box,Now my meds are all in little compartments with day/time ,so I no longer sort my own meds out.Also my meds have changed a few times,so I have left over meds from before
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:18 PM

Mups, I end up with surplus medication simply because of change in prescriptions, meaning that those which have been prescribed have been replaced. When I had my ileostomy I was prescribed large amounts of medication to deal with that and the chemotherapy. A lot if which I did not need to take as I got through things without resorting to medication. Hence I had a drawer full of stuff (like Loperamide/Immodium) which was surplus to my requirements, so went back to the pharmacists.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Mups, I end up with surplus medication simply because of change in prescriptions, meaning that those which have been prescribed have been replaced. When I had my ileostomy I was prescribed large amounts of medication to deal with that and the chemotherapy. A lot if which I did not need to take as I got through things without resorting to medication. Hence I had a drawer full of stuff (like Loperamide/Immodium) which was surplus to my requirements, so went back to the pharmacists.

OK CeeCee, my apologies for not thinking of that. x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Some medicines go out of date and are best taken to the pharmacy to be disposed of.
I think that's mostly bunkum perpetrated by the Big Pharma companies to keep people buying meds.

I have a decent supply of antibiotics which are probably 7-8 years old now. They are still very strong and perfectly useable.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 12:11 AM

how do you know this about your antibiotics - guess work - keep trying them; testing them - how ??
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 07:38 AM

I think that's mostly bunkum perpetrated by the Big Pharma companies to keep people buying meds.

I have a decent supply of antibiotics which are probably 7-8 years old now. They are still very strong and perfectly useable.
I have to ask why you didn't take the antibiotics at the time they were prescribed for you? How do you know they will be effective next time you have an infection that needs treating?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 08:31 AM

https://www.drugs.com/article/drug-e...ion-dates.html

whenever an outrageous claim is made here I check it out through research. hearsay can be a dangerous thing
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 09:07 AM

Now that is something I avoid taking, antibiotics. I have to be really ill before I would resort to them and have been known to refuse them when suggested by my doctor. I prefer to let my body fight the infection and I would have thought that you, of all people, would subscribe to that view.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Someone might be on entirely different meds at a later date, which could easily interact badly with the old medicine.
No one should be taking any medications Mups unless they fully understand the associated risks and the contraindications with other medications and food stuffs.
It gets tiresome debating these same old things with the deniers on here. We are all adults and it is OUR responsibility to educate ourselves on health and medications.

Anyway, where are all these old medicines coming from?
I procured them for myself some years ago. I deem it prudent to have my own supply in case of a national/global incident and for simple antibiotics I don't feel the need to go running to a Big Pharma GP.

The only way people can have left over meds, is if they haven't taken them properly, and finished the course when they should have in the first place.
Nope you can buy meds online or buy them abroad very easily.

Lastly, I thought you didn't agree with taking prescription drugs anyway Realist, you are so opposed to the medical profession and usually recommend grapefruit extract for most things.
Yep this is certainly true however I equally understand the dangers of certain types of infections which may at times require a quicker and more thorough treatment. I recently got a tooth infection for example. I tried for a few days to up my Vit C intake and use GSE but it was taking too long. Ultimately it would have worked but because it was a tooth infection it was uncomfortable and affecting my eating and there is the danger the infection can spread to eyes, ears, brain etc. So in this particular case I just took a simple course of antibiotics, 3 per day for 5 days. Killed the infection straight away. Simple, safe, job done.

I will repeat what I said earlier. The expiry dates on most meds are absolute bunkum and put there by manufacturers in order to sell more products to people. No different to the "best before" dates you see on foods which are there to frighten people into chucking food away so that they buy more.

Here's the salient part from the article Gumbud posted:

"Examples of common drug products that were tested with no failures included amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, diphenhydramine, and morphine sulfate injection. Drug expiration extension dates on these products ranged from 12 months to 184 months (over 15 years)."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top