Join for free
Reply
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,481
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 07:11 PM
1

Leaves still on roses

I'm not sure if it is because it is milder here in the SW but most of my roses are still holding onto last years leaves. I trimmed the plants back a bit last year and will be pruning in the Spring but will the old leaves all fall off by then or should I gently remove them? There are a lot of them.
Reply With Quote
Yolande
Senior Member
Yolande is offline
London, UK
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 231
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 07:17 PM
2

Re: Leaves still on roses

I was surprised too Longdogs when my rose in the front garden produced
three small red roses this week. It hasn't really shed any leaves either.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,481
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 07:19 PM
3

Re: Leaves still on roses

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
I was surprised too Longdogs when my rose in the front garden produced
three small red roses this week. It hasn't really shed any leaves either.
Wow. Our weather does seem to be a bit mixed up doesn't it. Perhaps I should just leave them on then.

A nice surprise for you though.
Reply With Quote
Rehab44's Avatar
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Rehab44 is offline
Midlands
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,080
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 07:26 PM
4

Re: Leaves still on roses

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm not sure if it is because it is milder here in the SW but most of my roses are still holding onto last years leaves. I trimmed the plants back a bit last year and will be pruning in the Spring but will the old leaves all fall off by then or should I gently remove them? There are a lot of them.
Leave them mate,
I lightly prune in Autumn And again in spring...and I still have leaves on mine...I blame Brexit
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,481
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 07:45 PM
5

Re: Leaves still on roses

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Leave them mate,
I lightly prune in Autumn And again in spring...and I still have leaves on mine...I blame Brexit
Thanks Rehab.

In that case if I am not happy with the result, I will ask again.
Reply With Quote
Rehab44's Avatar
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Rehab44 is offline
Midlands
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,080
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 08:07 PM
6

Re: Leaves still on roses

Roses are bloody resilient
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,481
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 08:14 PM
7

Re: Leaves still on roses

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Roses are bloody resilient
Very true.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.