Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:12 AM

The post office window

Has the internet killed off advertisements in the post office, or newsagents windows?, you used to see all sorts of stuff for sale locally from cars,to pets, even supermarkets used to have ad boards, but now with sites like eBay, gumtree and even Facebook you don’t seem to see the little postcards in the window now, or does your local shop still have them.?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Re: The post office window

Still have them in my local shops but not in the post office. Our post office has been shoved into the back of a small supermarket and doesn't even have a post box outside.

I love reading some of the small ads; Car for sale £500 (not gonna tell you what it is though)

Table £40 (you can guess the size yourself)

Garden soil free to collect (load of old clay that would cost a fortune to get rid of at the tip).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 12:25 PM

We did have a good board in Sainsbury's which was free and quite useful but they obviously decided they didn't like providing anything for free so replaced it with a local map instead.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:16 PM

I have seen small ads in my local post office, a Spar shop and a small Tesco.

Although, on a bigger scale, l was surprised to see adverts on an ambulance, the other day!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Our local forbouys has a good selection in the window so do does the hospice shop. Post office has thick grills on the windows you'd never be able to see the cards if they had them. Most of our post offices are just a counter in another shop, sainsburys has one and forbouys has one.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Funny you should say that Primus, I was moping around my local Tesco waiting for Mrs Fox to put the shopping into the trolley when I wandered over to the display board where all the local businesses advertised, and there were only two dogeared cards in there. Back in the day it was chock a block with at least fifty enterprising local companies from builders and sparkies to couriers (that was me) and pet grooming.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:53 PM

I still see them in our post office window
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 02:47 PM

What happened to those cards in seedy newsagents or telephone boxes along the lines of...

"Headmistress available for schooling. Good at French"

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What happened to those cards in seedy newsagents or telephone boxes along the lines of...

"Headmistress available for schooling. Good at French"

Never seen those

We still have cards in some places.
Student lets mainly, for the ever-growing Uni.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have seen small ads in my local post office, a Spar shop and a small Tesco.

Although, on a bigger scale, l was surprised to see adverts on an ambulance, the other day!
Wow! Things must be bad if they are selling patients.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top