Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mel15
Senior Member
Mel15 is offline
Nowhere
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,283
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
30-01-2019, 10:49 PM
11

Re: Winter Tyres

We have snow here, and icy conditions from Mid November to at least March, and Ive not yet gone to winter tyres, even with real wheel drive and living in the country where roads are not gritted

I didn't learn to drive till I moved here and I had to learn very quickly how to drive in adverse weather conditions
Reply With Quote
Realist's Avatar
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,966
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
30-01-2019, 10:55 PM
12

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Missy ->
We have snow here, and icy conditions from Mid November to at least March, and Ive not yet gone to winter tyres, even with real wheel drive and living in the country where roads are not gritted
I once had the misfortune to be driving a RWD BMW in the snow and it was utterly frightening. The back end would twitch and swing out with the least bit of encouragement. Felt totally out of control. I would never drive a RWD car again in such conditions. FWD or 4WD all the way for me.
Reply With Quote
Mel15
Senior Member
Mel15 is offline
Nowhere
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,283
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
30-01-2019, 11:10 PM
13

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I once had the misfortune to be driving a RWD BMW in the snow and it was utterly frightening. The back end would twitch and swing out with the least bit of encouragement. Felt totally out of control. I would never drive a RWD car again in such conditions. FWD or 4WD all the way for me.

Im afraid to say, all BMWs

But you do get used to them and change your driving to suit

Mr Missy can struggle to get his off the drive this time of year ( he's very heavy on the right foot) yet only once have I had to drive on past my turn knowing the car isn't going to stop

This winter Im driving a FWD for the first time in years and its a doddle compared to RWD, so much so Im possibly more cautious
Reply With Quote
Primus1's Avatar
Primus1
Senior Member
Primus1 is offline
York
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,123
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
30-01-2019, 11:11 PM
14

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I once had the misfortune to be driving a RWD BMW in the snow and it was utterly frightening. The back end would twitch and swing out with the least bit of encouragement. Felt totally out of control. I would never drive a RWD car again in such conditions. FWD or 4WD all the way for me.
Lol, beemers are known to be horrible to drive in snow, indeed all rear drive cars are, as I said I had Michelin Cross Climate tyres all round, on my last car, and I will get those again should I need tyres, they were brilliant, and noticeably quieter,
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,224
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
30-01-2019, 11:19 PM
15

Re: Winter Tyres

My Toyo tyres work in winter or summer, on dirt or bitumen.



Quite pleased with Toyo.


Attached Images File Type: jpg 171030 004 Murrurundi Caravan Park.jpg (31.9 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote
marmaduke
Senior Member
marmaduke is offline
uk ( Cheshire)
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,622
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-02-2019, 10:17 PM
16

Re: Winter Tyres

A visual comparison of summer V winter tyres


https://youtu.be/atayHQYqA3g
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 32,721
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-02-2019, 11:30 PM
17

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My Toyo tyres work in winter or summer, on dirt or bitumen.



Quite pleased with Toyo.
What are they like on tarmac Bruce? Are they a bit noisy?
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,224
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-02-2019, 11:40 PM
18

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What are they like on tarmac Bruce? Are they a bit noisy?
I don't think the road noise is excessive though the vehicle as a whole is noisier than a car when it passes. They are a pretty standard type of tyre here and very similar to the ones it was fitted with out of the factory just a different brand. While they are fine on a ute I wouldn't put them on a sedan they would be a bit harsh.

Don't forget my car weighs 2 tonnes.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 32,721
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-02-2019, 11:44 PM
19

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't think the road noise is excessive though the vehicle as a whole is noisier than a car when it passes. They are a pretty standard type of tyre here and very similar to the ones it was fitted with out of the factory just a different brand. While they are fine on a ute I wouldn't put them on a sedan they would be a bit harsh.

Don't forget my car weighs 2 tonnes.
I only asked because I have always wondered why we don't use tyres like that here - all year. Even brand new tyres here always seem a bit too smooth to me. I'm sure they were chunkier years ago.
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,224
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-02-2019, 12:06 AM
20

Re: Winter Tyres

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I only asked because I have always wondered why we don't use tyres like that here - all year. Even brand new tyres here always seem a bit too smooth to me. I'm sure they were chunkier years ago.
I must admit when I lived in the UK I always wanted to fit Dunlop Town and Country tyres to my cars but could never justify the expense.

When my brother (from Macclesfield) was visiting he seemed concerned about the tyres in the rain but I have never noticed anything untoward about them in the wet.

Years ago I had a Mitsubishi Starwagon as a family vehicle it was originally fitted with Bridgestone 5 ply car tyres (I think that was right) which, when it came to replace, were very expensive. The tyre dealer suggested truck tyres as they were less than half the price The Starwagon is just an 8 seater van.

The truck tyres were fine but they did have a habit of squealing when cornering and the ride was a bit harder.



That photo was taken when I was getting ready to sell it 17 years after I bought it (new in 1990) when all my kids were independent - quite funny seeing the old rego sticker in the window.


Attached Images File Type: jpg StarWagon 004.jpg (47.7 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.