Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Re: Steroids

So sorry to hear that. How totally frustrating for you!

Hopefully all will be well after you finally get your op.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 09:04 AM

A month on and I don't seem to have had any ill effects from the steroids - except maybe cramp in my calf muscles which I can cope with.

I've been slowly reducing my dose & have managed to cut down from 15mg to 10 and still no breakthrough pain. From today onwards I'm going for 7.5 mg.

This is the crucial time & I'm desperately hoping I won't have to up my dose again..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 03:49 PM

I'm very pleased to hear that you are faring well, Carol. You are very wise in adhering to the weaning protocol.

My daughter has had to do several courses with extended weaning over the past 6 years, and has had no adverse side effects in the long run. She agrees, that the short run effects were worth the outcome.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 11:45 PM

I won't take steroids or antibiotics.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

27-05-2019, 06:34 AM

You might change your mind if you had my condition ST.

It was a matter of choosing between the devil & the deep blue sea!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
You might change your mind if you had my condition ST.

It was a matter of choosing between the devil & the deep blue sea!
Carol, whether we like it or not, we probably all need some medication, that we would prefer not to take.

When I had my chemo I was very ill, but I wouldn't still be here if i hadn't accepted it. It sounds like those steroids have helped you, so lets hope the effects last for a good time.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 07:57 PM

I've found out today that steroids is the treatment of choice for my newly diagnosed Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

I know steroids can have a lot of unwelcome side effects.

I wondered if anybody on here has ever taken them?
A good many years ago I was afflicted with symptoms which were alien to me so took myself off to my GP suggesting it could be Fibromayalgia .
He disagreed saying he thought he knew what it could be ,polymayalgia rheumatica [so it's not new]and I'd have to go on steroids straight away and he would sent off a blood sample to be sure .
Uh uh no steroids until I get the results of the test I told him.
When the result came back it was negative !
So I would have been put on steroids for nothing ?
Anyway those symptoms went away but if I presented again with the symptoms I have now a kind of flare up which came on in February this year in my joints to another GP he/she might well suggest the same?

Lots of people are on steroids for one thing and another . They're not flavour of the month by any means!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 08:18 PM

I've found out today that steroids is the treatment of choice for my newly diagnosed Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

I know steroids can have a lot of unwelcome side effects.

I wondered if anybody on here has ever taken them?
I did for many years to mitigate the ulcerative colitis.

Adversely affected my bone density.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Carol I'm assuming you've had a blood test to confirm the GP's diagnosis and need for steroids ?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

06-06-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Carol I'm assuming you've had a blood test to confirm the GP's diagnosis and need for steroids ?
Yes I had a lot of blood tests.

My symptoms were typical on PMR & the doctor said it would be confirmed if I took steroids for a few days & it got better.

I only took them for three days & the pain completely disappeared.

That more or less proves it's PMR I'm suffering from as the steroids wouldn't have cured any other complaint as quickly and completely.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top