Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,393
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 02:56 PM
1

Noisy cars

I know this has been mentioned a few times by various members on the 'What annoys you' thread but living close to a road as I do, sometimes it sounds like I am at a Donington Park track event; there are lots of cars which sound like the exhaust is being dragged along a cobbled street and motorcycles that make my suspended floor shake. It's even worse in the summer with a window open.

My neighbour (a nice enough bloke) always takes four or five goes at parking because he is in love with the sound of his engine when he revs it.

Whatever happened to the rules about noisy vehicles or have they been shelved along with all the other obvious stuff?

Before anyone says it, I know I'm getting old and turning into a grumpy old git but I can remember the number of times my old jalopies failed their MOTs because the exhaust was too noisy.
Reply With Quote
Cold Feet
New Member!
Cold Feet is offline
Berwickshire
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 7
Cold Feet is male 
 
25-05-2019, 03:46 PM
2

Re: Noisy cars

The MOT rules say that the exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level normally expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition. There's no actual limit in terms of decibel levels, it's up to the MOT tester to decide what is unreasonable.
Reply With Quote
Judd's Avatar
Judd
Chatterbox
Judd is offline
West Riding of Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 8,672
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 03:54 PM
3

Re: Noisy cars

I think that the attitude of that arsehole Clarkson and others like him who revel in the `throaty` noises pumped out of the exhaust pipes of sporty cars have created the problem. It's the same mentality of those young morons skittling up and down roads on their weedy and under-powered 2-stroke mopeds/scooters who think it's fun to rev the arse off their machines in a low gear just to hear the noise it makes and in some instances, drill small holes in the exhaust to make them sound more powerful than they actually are.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than tootling down a motorway with a mid-engined sports jobby growling away at the back of the drivers seat. Would give me a real doozy of a headache.

I much prefer gliding along in a near silent car where you can at least hear the radio.
Reply With Quote
TessA's Avatar
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is online now
Somerset
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 19,708
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 03:57 PM
4

Re: Noisy cars

Never mind LD old fruit, soon all cars will be electric and sneaking up on people from behind in country lanes.
Sometimes, if the wind is in the right direction, of a quiet summer evening, I can here the drifters up the Gorge.
Reply With Quote
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is offline
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,056
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 03:58 PM
5

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think that the attitude of that arsehole Clarkson and others like him who revel in the `throaty` noises pumped out of the exhaust pipes of sporty cars have created the problem. It's the same mentality of those young morons skittling up and down roads on their weedy and under-powered 2-stroke mopeds/scooters who think it's fun to rev the arse off their machines in a low gear just to hear the noise it makes and in some instances, drill small holes in the exhaust to make them sound more powerful than they actually are.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than tootling down a motorway with a mid-engined sports jobby growling away at the back of the drivers seat. Would give me a real doozy of a headache.

I much prefer gliding along in a near silent car where you can at least hear the radio.
Not much to argue with there...
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is online now
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,625
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 04:00 PM
6

Re: Noisy cars

If it gets to much go to your local council and ask for the noise abatement people. They should come out and monitor the noise and report back even fine the offenders. No one will know who lodged the complaint as they are not allowed to reveal that information
Reply With Quote
Besoeker's Avatar
Besoeker
Senior Member
Besoeker is offline
Doncaster, UK
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 3,650
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 04:14 PM
7

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I much prefer gliding along in a near silent car where you can at least hear the radio.
Yes.
I used to have a Jag XJS V12.
We were on our way back to the office after a pub lunch and my admin assistant was with me. We stopped at a Give Way sign.
"You've stalled it" she scolded me.
Yes, it really was that quiet. Quieter than my boss's Roller.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 17,549
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 04:48 PM
8

Re: Noisy cars

Hi

The gits put a good silencer on for the MOT and then take it off after.

They brag about it.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,393
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 05:52 PM
9

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If it gets to much go to your local council and ask for the noise abatement people. They should come out and monitor the noise and report back even fine the offenders. No one will know who lodged the complaint as they are not allowed to reveal that information


Thanks. I hate to be a killjoy, I mean I was young once and I don't have a problem with speed or noisy cars but I just think there is a time and place for it. Sometimes they race around at 2am and surely must wake all the babies up.

If only we had some police.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 30,393
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2019, 05:53 PM
10

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The gits put a good silencer on for the MOT and then take it off after.

They brag about it.
I didn't know that. I wondered how they got them through.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.