Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 08:42 AM

And now Bercow Refuses to go.

Pygmy Bercow now decides to stay and frustrate the will of the people a bit more.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1SZ0MS
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 09:00 AM

Re: And now Bercow Refuses to go.

Nothing whatsoever to do with 'frustrating the will of the people'. Speakers are elected by the MPs themselves and remain in post until either they are replaced by MPs or choose to resign themselves. The 'people' have nothing whatsoever to do with it, and I would suggest, that it is only a minority of the 'people' i.e. members of the scumbag 'nasty party' who want him to go.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Nothing whatsoever to do with 'frustrating the will of the people'. Speakers are elected by the MPs themselves and remain in post until either they are replaced by MPs or choose to resign themselves. The 'people' have nothing whatsoever to do with it, and I would suggest, that it is only a minority of the 'people' i.e. members of the scumbag 'nasty party' who want him to go.

The people do have something to do with it Joe.

We voted to leave the EU and Bercow is making sure that doesn't happen.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Pygmy Bercow now decides to stay and frustrate the will of the people a bit more.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1SZ0MS
You beat me to it Bread!
Who does this poisen dwarf think he is?
I thought the speaker was not supposed to have a view of
his own?
I remember l posted on this forum last year some time,
about a dream l had the night before, where the speaker
had been found in the speakers chair with a gunshot to
the head, uncertain if suicide or foul play!
Maybe dreams can come true?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The people do have something to do with it Joe.

We voted to leave the EU and Bercow is making sure that doesn't happen.

What a load of old cobblers !!!

There is established historical convention (Erskine May) which clearly states that resolutions voted down by the House, cannot be brought back again unaltered - Bercow was merely enforcing that convention.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-05-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What a load of old cobblers !!!

There is established historical convention (Erskine May) which clearly states that resolutions voted down by the House, cannot be brought back again unaltered - Bercow was merely enforcing that convention.
Yes they can - once Parliament is prorogued.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 10:36 AM

Is Bercow a dictator?

Is our once-democracy now a dictatorship?

Apparently, Bercow can dictate to the government - the government that WE elected - what they cannot do if it is not to his personal liking. What's more, it seems that he can remain in office for as long as he wants.

His personal preference is for the UK to remain under the rule of the EU, yet the majority of the electorate want us to leave, so his decision overrules our democratic decision.

Isn't that a dictator in all but name?

And I thought that the function of the Speaker was to ensure that the Commons behaves within pre-ordained limitations, is politically independent, and takes no part in making political decisions.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Hi

The purpose of the Speaker is to ensure that the HoC operates within it's rule book.

May clearly broke the rules with keep bringing back her Withdrawal Bill.

Parliament kept voting it down, not just the Remainers, but also the Brexiteers.

They had good reason to vote it down, it was a disaster, the backstop meant we had no control at all and left the EU totally in charge.

It was not an agreement, it was a complete surrender.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The purpose of the Speaker is to ensure that the HoC operates within it's rule book.

May clearly broke the rules with keep bringing back her Withdrawal Bill.

Parliament kept voting it down, not just the Remainers, but also the Brexiteers.

They had good reason to vote it down, it was a disaster, the backstop meant we had no control at all and left the EU totally in charge.

It was not an agreement, it was a complete surrender.
I agree, and she should never have been allowed to bring back her 'deal' when it was simply the same thing over and over again.

However, I maintain that the Speaker has no business dictating what cannot be done in the Commons simply because he personally disagrees with it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

29-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, and she should never have been allowed to bring back her 'deal' when it was simply the same thing over and over again.

However, I maintain that the Speaker has no business dictating what cannot be done in the Commons simply because he personally disagrees with it.

which clearly demonstrates your ignorance of parliamentary procedures.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top