Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:54 PM

Do you ever feel the urge to rescue someone who has lost their way?

I am finding myself in a familiar position of feeling that I should help someone who has lost their way in life. I have done this before and it's a thankless task.

But is it right to walk away even though you know someone who is being abusive is actually crying out for help?

I have had a weird weekend with being abused verbally by someone who is imbalanced but it's a way to try to get my attention. I know they need help because I have looked into their situation.

What would you do? Steer clear or ignore their ego?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:01 PM

Re: Do you ever feel the urge to rescue someone who has lost their way?

Sorry Annie, but I really couldn't say without knowing the whole story and situation. I wouldn't want to jump in with advice which was not appropriate.

If this person is 'unbalanced', then surely they should be getting medical help?

I do wish you well with your problem though, and hope you can arrive at the right decision soon. Don't forget to take care of yourself too, though, as sometimes this sort of thing can really take it out of you.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:02 PM

I would try to help, regardless.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:03 PM

If I didn't know them to well.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I am finding myself in a familiar position of feeling that I should help someone who has lost their way in life. I have done this before and it's a thankless task.

But is it right to walk away even though you know someone who is being abusive is actually crying out for help?

I have had a weird weekend with being abused verbally by someone who is imbalanced but it's a way to try to get my attention. I know they need help because I have looked into their situation.

What would you do? Steer clear or ignore their ego?

Annie,without knowing the full story,I wouldn't know,what I would do.

Personally,I have walked away from an abusive husband,it took me twelve yrs to do that,my friends and family told me to walk away,much sooner,but I couldn't walk away until I was ready...it nearly destroyed me.

I hope you are ok,Annie,I feel,concern for you,from this post.

Look after yourself!.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry Annie, but I really couldn't say without knowing the whole story and situation. I wouldn't want to jump in with advice which was not appropriate.

If this person is 'unbalanced', then surely they should be getting medical help?

I do wish you well with your problem though, and hope you can arrive at the right decision soon. Don't forget to take care of yourself too, though, as sometimes this sort of thing can really take it out of you.
I know exactly what you mean there Mups! I have overdone helping others in the past and it is like a steamroller. There's no thanks but you know you have done the right thing to reach out when nobody else does. Isn't that what makes us human? To help each other?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:25 PM

I know exactly what you mean there Mups! I have overdone helping others in the past and it is like a steamroller. There's no thanks but you know you have done the right thing to reach out when nobody else does. Isn't that what makes us human? To help each other?
A lovely way to look at life, Annie.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-06-2019, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Annie,without knowing the full story,I wouldn't know,what I would do.

Personally,I have walked away from an abusive husband,it took me twelve yrs to do that,my friends and family told me to walk away,much sooner,but I couldn't walk away until I was ready...it nearly destroyed me.

I hope you are ok,Annie,I feel,concern for you,from this post.

Look after yourself!.
Thanks Pauline x I feel for you having been in that situation.

This is someone I don't know that well but she has chosen to reach out to me for some reason. I don't know the full story but I have been piecing it together and it's as though she is alone and trying to turn her life around but it's not quite working out. But pride prevents her from admitting that. She needs moral support but she is pushing people away instead. Crazy right? But ever so human.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
A lovely way to look at life, Annie.
Thanks ST, I am not sure if I am doing the right thing but I reached out to her tonight and I think (hope) she appreciated it. Sometimes those lashing out just need an emotional anchor. Just some grounding to get them feeling sane again.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:34 PM

Thanks ST, I am not sure if I am doing the right thing but I reached out to her tonight and I think (hope) she appreciated it. Sometimes those lashing out just need an emotional anchor. Just some grounding to get them feeling sane again.
Very true - but - be sure to remember it is her baggage, not yours. Be there for her, help her all you can, but do not carry the baggage away with you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top