Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Car free day

What an interesting idea
Apparently practised in other cities of the world .

https://www.standard.co.uk/futurelon...-a4171091.html
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Re: Car free day

I noted it's to be held on a Sunday, when hardly anyone will be there, for work anyway. It is a good idea though.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:48 AM

I live on the northern fringe of Sydney Metro. In Sydney you can just about do without a car. The Public transport is pretty good with trains, metro lines, ferries and busses. People still whinge about it but that's normal. The better people have it the more they complain I find. Melbourne is one of the best cities in the world to not have a car. The P.T. is so good. In Sydney you can be car free in the inner city neighbourhoods but beyond the main city public transport systems it's not so good. Pretty much impossible in my neck of the woods to go without a car. There's a pretty "rubbish" local bus service here but to get from here to there we need a car. Car free days are a great start.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 04:02 AM

It's a nice idea in principle, but politicians often seem to forget that not everyone is young, fit and mobile. Some are crippled by arthritis or other conditions.

They are focusing on electric cars etc. What about electric lorries and buses?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 11:25 AM

There is now an electric train too. It emits water so is not polluting the atmosphere.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I live on the northern fringe of Sydney Metro. In Sydney you can just about do without a car. The Public transport is pretty good with trains, metro lines, ferries and busses. People still whinge about it but that's normal. The better people have it the more they complain I find. Melbourne is one of the best cities in the world to not have a car. The P.T. is so good. In Sydney you can be car free in the inner city neighbourhoods but beyond the main city public transport systems it's not so good. Pretty much impossible in my neck of the woods to go without a car. There's a pretty "rubbish" local bus service here but to get from here to there we need a car. Car free days are a great start.
I have a cousin in Sydney called Tessa Holt (was Roberts) if you see her say Hi from me. Not seen her for about 50 years
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
There is now an electric train too. It emits water so is not polluting the atmosphere.
Emits water? That apart the electricity for electricity vehicles has to be generated.

There's nowhere near enough electricity generated from recyclables to cater for our current needs (ouch!) let alone the introduction of electrically powered vehicles.

Even then the power transmission network is on the verge of breakdown even before an additional load is placed on it.

I do recall seeing compact atomic generator packs in use in Russia that served local communities. That would be one solution but I suspect that here with our growing terrorist presence it would not be a particularly safe option ......

Interestingly the Lawrence Livermore lab in the USA are now playing catch-up with Russia and working on a small local thing.

Funny how often the Americans have to play catch-up in so many areas!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Emits water? That apart the electricity for electricity vehicles has to be generated.

There's nowhere near enough electricity generated from recyclables to cater for our current needs (ouch!) let alone the introduction of electrically powered vehicles.

Even then the power transmission network is on the verge of breakdown even before an additional load is placed on it.

I do recall seeing compact atomic generator packs in use in Russia that served local communities. That would be one solution but I suspect that here with our growing terrorist presence it would not be a particularly safe option ......

Interestingly the Lawrence Livermore lab in the USA are now playing catch-up with Russia and working on a small local thing.

Funny how often the Americans have to play catch-up in so many areas!
We have existing compact atomic generators in the uk also
Todgy! And a plus factor about them is they are easily
moveable as well? Each one is apparently capable of supplying
a medium sized city!
The only thing we need to bring these generators on line is
to redesignate their use, and then deploy them to where they
are needed!
They are currently deployed all over the world in our so called
Nuclear Deterent submarines, a thing imo which are a waste
of resources as we would never have the guts to use them if
ever needed?

Regards Donkeyman!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Electric trains have been around for decades.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
We have existing compact atomic generators in the uk also
Todgy! And a plus factor about them is they are easily
moveable as well? Each one is apparently capable of supplying
a medium sized city!
The only thing we need to bring these generators on line is
to redesignate their use, and then deploy them to where they
are needed!
They are currently deployed all over the world in our so called
Nuclear Deterent submarines, a thing imo which are a waste
of resources as we would never have the guts to use them if
ever needed?

Regards Donkeyman!
Not the same. Not possible to redesign either. They are fundementaly different and I do mean fundementaly.

For example the Lawrence Livermore thing is lead cooled, and it's a fast breeder.
In addition in order to make the thing intrinsically safe it's about 10 metres tall and relies on convection currents within the liquid lead coolant rather than any moving parts that would not survive the 30 year design life. In addition a different fuel is used.

Chalk and cheese springs to mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top