Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 03:54 PM

Re: Scotland and Brexit.

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I think I will leave it to my grandchildren the next time Solasch By the way I am surprised that someone from the Netherlands spends so much time on the brexit threads.
At one time we had people who wanted to exit the EU. I was and am critical about many things in the bureaucratic organization of the EU. But I do believe that, as humans, we should not let others (and ourselves) divide us on any basis, least of all geographical borders and religions.
In my search for arguments about exiting the EU I found this forum. Since the UK by that time had advanced to the final stages of leaving, I assumed to find new insights that would prove the logic to leave. I found that there is no logic in leaving, but that the british are unable, due to their political system, to revert damaging decisions. That makes it fascinating to follow. Compare it with a late nite movie. It takes too long to conclude, but you don't want to stop watching. You want to see how it concludes, and who are on the list of starring actors with the most credits. So:
(to be continued)
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 05:19 PM

The SNP only have one policy. Scotland rejected it last time and will reject it again.

That will be the end of that and Sturgeons career
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 07:43 PM

Nobody’s put their head above the parapet yet and said yes or no! Don’t expect Ray Cathode has any answer for obvious reasons.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Nobody’s put their head above the parapet yet and said yes or no! Don’t expect Ray Cathode has any answer for obvious reasons.
The reason for that, weedeek, is because Scotland isn't the centre of the Universe , as Scots seem to imagine and English voters do NOT frame their views on Brexit with Scotland in mind.

I don't think there is any other part/region/nation within the EU with such an over inflated sense of their own importance to the whole.

The UK wouldn't miss or suffer from the loss of Scotland any more than if , say, The West Country seceded or Yorkshire declared independence.

So, the question of Brexit and Scotland isn't mutual and don't forget 1 million Scots voted for Brexit , The Brexit Party was the 2nd largest in Scotland recently and the Conservative voters have the 2nd highest representation at Westminster, Holyrood and Brussells/Strasbourg............

So the Tories are only toxicamongst Nationalists and the Nationalists do NOT speak for all Scots!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I don't think there is any other part/region/nation within the EU with such an over inflated sense of their own importance to the whole.

The UK wouldn't miss or suffer from the loss of Scotland any more than if , say, The West Country seceded or Yorkshire declared independence.
Remind me, which member it was who said "they need us more, than we them" and "if we threaten to leave without a deal, they will budge and offer a better deal".
What you state about the union of your kingdom is exactly what the union of european countries says about you. It should be a lesson for you.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:25 PM

But our union has survived 300 years, looks like the EU will be lucky to reach 50.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-06-2019, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
But our union has survived 300 years, looks like the EU will be lucky to reach 50.
The EU started in 1957, still growing. UK stopped growing in 1922. Like standstill is going backward?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:56 PM

**** Please note: name calling is not allowed.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I’m not so sure the union would survive

I work on projects with quite a few Scotsman and a lot of those who voted to stay in the union did so because they wanted to remain in the EU and would now vote differently

As seen by the EU referendum demographics Scotland is very pro Remain
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
I’m not so sure the union would survive

I work on projects with quite a few Scotsman and a lot of those who voted to stay in the union did so because they wanted to remain in the EU and would now vote differently

As seen by the EU referendum demographics Scotland is very pro Remain
The Union will survive this blip in its history because Scotland had a referendum in 2014 and it won't get another one any time soon. You can't keep having votes every few years. How does that create stability?

I work with 100% Scottish people and there are plenty ( not all) who support Brexit ..............some support Brexit AND Indy and most of them dislike Sturgeon.........This is The Borders tho'.
These people aren't as easily manipulated as the central belt.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top