Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is offline
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,980
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:29 PM
11

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it is always the fault of a vehicle if a pedestrian is hit. If she was a child nobody here would be questioning the charge. The 100k is the court cost because the cyclist was not insured. Cyclists should have to be insured and they should also have licence plates. We should not have dangerous vehicles on the road with no insurance and no licence plates. They are dangerous because they are going pretty fast and many do not abide by the highway code at all. Many just go through red lights as though it does not apply to them. I have seen a bus beep loudly at a cycle that nearly went into me after weaving between vehicles while I was crossing the road (on a red light). That loud horn stopped him in his tracks. I have absolutely no sympathy for this guy. "Yoga teacher" is being touted as some sort of excuse. "pensioner" or "child" would not have the same effect. The highway code is not just for cars.
In this case he did NOT go through a red light .
So is he supposed to pay for all the cyclists that do ?
He had an air horn it didn't stop this woman in her tracks !
You have to judge the case properly .
The judge actually said she the woman was equally at fault but still awarded her costs .
Maybe is because she's young and blonde .
Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done .
Hundreds of people obviously feel that justice has not been done and have donated towards his costs .
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 22,521
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:32 PM
12

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

The planet should exclude zero carbons from capitalistic traitors.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,522
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:33 PM
13

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
True but a judgement has to be fair .
It's nothing to do with her being a yoga teacher .
She should not have been crossing the road looking at her phone.
Hopefully small children and elderly people will have more sense.
There is no law against crossing the road looking at your phone.

We have stringent laws about watching out for pedestrians which is a good thing because it is not the pedestrian that is a danger on the roads but the vehicle. The trouble is a lot of cyclists think the law does not apply to them.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,522
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:37 PM
14

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
In this case he did NOT go through a red light .
So is he supposed to pay for all the cyclists that do ?
He had an air horn it didn't stop this woman in her tracks !
You have to judge the case properly .
The judge actually said she the woman was equally at fault but still awarded her costs .
Maybe is because she's young and blonde .
Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done .
Hundreds of people obviously feel that justice has not been done and have donated towards his costs .
If she were a pensioner or a child would you feel the judgement was unfair?
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is offline
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,980
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:39 PM
15

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There is no law against crossing the road looking at your phone.

We have stringent laws about watching out for pedestrians which is a good thing because it is not the pedestrian that is a danger on the roads but the vehicle. The trouble is a lot of cyclists think the law does not apply to them.

Only the law of COMMON SENSE

"Judge Shanti Mauger finding that she was equally to blame for the accident, and could have been sued herself by the cyclist."

Which part of equally do you not understand ?


"At Central London County Court today, Judge Mauger awarded her 4,161.79 in damages after saying the 8mm scar she suffered to her lip did not wreck her "very attractive" "appearance.

Of course he did .
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,522
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:48 PM
16

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

The guy who killed Charlie Alliston 3 years ago was riding at 18mph with no brakes. A 74 year old Worthing man is currently suffering from major injuries after confronting a cyclist about his speed. The cyclist beat him up. There are some real nutters out there, they are unregistered and uninsured. It's great that this case has highlighted the need for more regulation. Fact is if he had been insured this would be a non story.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,522
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:49 PM
17

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Only the law of COMMON SENSE

"Judge Shanti Mauger finding that she was equally to blame for the accident, and could have been sued herself by the cyclist."

Which part of equally do you not understand ?


"At Central London County Court today, Judge Mauger awarded her 4,161.79 in damages after saying the 8mm scar she suffered to her lip did not wreck her "very attractive" "appearance.

Of course he did .
If she were a scarred pensioner or a scarred child would you still think the judgement unfair?
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is offline
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,980
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-06-2019, 10:59 PM
18

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

She WASNT a child or a pensioner .

She was a 28 year old good looking blonde who stupidly stepped into the road looking at her phone so was she -in the judges OWN WORDS EQUALLY at fault .

Do you need the definition of EQUALLY ?
Reply With Quote
John's Avatar
John
Senior Member
John is offline
Eastleigh Hampshire
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,225
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-06-2019, 12:04 AM
19

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Silly sods looking at their phones, even walking down the pavement, are a pain in the arse. Never look up until they either collide with you, or you do a quick side step shuffle. I'm with the cyclist on this one.
Reply With Quote
mart's Avatar
mart
Senior Member
mart is offline
South of England
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,848
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-06-2019, 08:08 AM
20

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

People walking along with phones in their hands are so totally unaware of their surroundings that they are very likely to get injured. Crossing a road while looking at a phone must be taking the ultimate risk.

Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.