Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Conning Your Fellow Members.

Don’t worry, l am not out to con you! I just had one of my thoughts... you know, like l do!

I was thinking about the cancer scare l had in March that turned out not to be cancer at all.. Thank God.
Many of you were really sympathetic and caring and l really appreciated it.

Now, knowing how kind you all are. l wondered, if l had been a bit of a sick, dishonest person and not mentioned l had the all clear. Would it have been easy for me to have started a ‘Go Fund Me’ page and you donated?

You may, or may not have donated but you read about people who start funds like this and kind people donate thinking they are genuinely ill.

We like to think we know people on a forum but could we be caught out on something like this?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Re: Conning Your Fellow Members.

Never used "Go Fund Me" to donate to anything and never will. We all have problems and the problems of my family take priority over anyone else. I expect other families to do likewise.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:56 PM

I've never used those kind of pages either. I tend to bottle things up and withdraw if I'm really worried. I also know I'd not be posting anything on here about any major troubles/worries I had. It's just not who I am..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Never used "Go Fund Me" to donate to anything and never will. We all have problems and the problems of my family take priority over anyone else. I expect other families to do likewise.
Tachyon, I agree, your family is priority.

I wish, l hadn’t used me as an example. I meant, anyone who might try this con.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I've never used those kind of pages either. I tend to bottle things up and withdraw if I'm really worried. I also know I'd not be posting anything on here about any major troubles/worries I had. It's just not who I am..
Roxy, Again, l wish l hadn’t used myself as an example. I was just thinking it could be something some dishonest person might try.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Tachyon, I agree, your family is priority.

I wish, l hadn’t used me as an example. I meant, anyone who might try this con.
I knew you weren't referring to yourself specifically, more about the website in general. I'd never donate to ANYONE was my meaning.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:20 PM

I wasn't having a pop at you Art, please don't think that.
Your right too, a dishonest person could easily see it as a money making opportunity and some would have no hesitation in trying it on.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:21 PM

A go fund me page was started by a friends son who lives in Australia. His mum was staying with him from the UK, while there she had a stroke . He wrote on her face book page asking for financial help to pay for his dad to fly out and stay too , dad was self employed and would lose money and rent council tax etc had to be paid while out there for 6 weeks . We were happy to help , around 2.5 thousand was raised by friends and family . Eventually friend and hubby were able to fly home after 6 weeks .

They were so grateful for the help .

I wouldn't give onto just anybody though , but none of us missed the odd £10 or £20 .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:27 PM

It is certain that we can be conned by people on a forum, I have known people that have been!

On the other hand, I have known people who have financially helped people they care about, but haven't been conned.

I don't doubt that many of us have put money into charity tins, that never reached their destination, but if we cannot trust people it is a sad world...... yet these things happen everyday to somebody!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I knew you weren't referring to yourself specifically, more about the website in general. I'd never donate to ANYONE was my meaning.
Oh That’s good, Tachyon. I thought, l may have misled you all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top