Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 01:05 PM

Do police officers still wear shoes?

Sorting out the loft, as you do between Christmas and New Year when there’s nowhere else to go!!

Found my old police shoes! Shoes, not boots. They still look quite smart ... old but smart.

It made me wonder. Do police officers actually wear plain shoes any more? I appreciate that boots are a very necessary requirement for active duty, but in the old days it was a personal choice of boots or shoes for duty, whilst plain shoes were pretty much expected for things like court appearances, visits to homes to take statements, etc and driving.

I wonder if it’s now PPE requirements, including footwear, for every aspect of duty?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Re: Do police officers still wear shoes?

Originally Posted by Marky34 ->
Sorting out the loft, as you do between Christmas and New Year when there’s nowhere else to go!!

Found my old police shoes! Shoes, not boots. They still look quite smart ... old but smart.

It made me wonder. Do police officers actually wear plain shoes any more? I appreciate that boots are a very necessary requirement for active duty, but in the old days it was a personal choice of boots or shoes for duty, whilst plain shoes were pretty much expected for things like court appearances, visits to homes to take statements, etc and driving.

I wonder if it’s now PPE requirements, including footwear, for every aspect of duty?

We have a retired police officer?

To be honest, I have never really thought about that, not until now, Marky, the funny thing was, my son and I were involved in an accident with a deer, where we had to call the police, due to where the accident took place, a young couple turned up, I never thought to look at their feet, now, if I’d done so, I’d be answering your question as I type, next time I see a police officer, I will definitely look at their feet and let you know,

I wonder also if they have steel toe caps.

How many yrs did you serve?...also I bet you have seen changes?
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 05:45 PM

Thanks for replying Pauline.

I’ve a funny feeling I’d know exactly what you’d have seen if you’d looked at their feet! Unpolished boots and and odd socks tucked into them! ��

I’m not really saying there’s anything wrong with that in a world that’s understandably more about actions than appearances but not what you would have seen in the past

Yes, things are very very different now from what they were some years back. Depending on how sensitive you’re feeling, you might want to have a look at on old post I made called Policing in the 1970’s.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Marky, My grandson is a police officer, l will ask him!!
Marky34
Surrey

31-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by artangel ->
marky, my grandson is a police officer, l will ask him!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 06:00 PM

Hi

It depends, if you are response, then boots, flameproof trousers tucked in.

Community or on TV, shoes, so as not to appear aggressive.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 06:02 PM

Yes, I will do that Marky, if I look on your profile page,I can find all of your topics that you started,sounds interesting.

I must say, this young female and male officer were extremely helpful, it was well past midnight when the accident happened, the car was in no condition to drive, my son wanted to drive it the rest of the way home, but there was something leaking from the front end,so obviously we had to get their permission, far to dangerous to drive they said, so we had to park it up in a safe place, that they showed us, they also gave us the number of a taxi service, which helped us greatly....

Of course they are in a profession that cares, they certainly showed it that evening.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

31-12-2020, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Marky, My grandson is a police officer, l will ask him!!

I never knew that Art, what rank is he?
Marky34
Surrey

31-12-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I must say, this young female and male officer were extremely helpful...

Of course they are in a profession that cares, they certainly showed it that evening.
Really nice to read that.
Marky34
Surrey

31-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It depends, if you are response, then boots, flameproof trousers tucked in.

Community or on TV, shoes, so as not to appear aggressive.
Makes absolute sense. Back in the day it was mostly personal choice and a lot of officers opted for shoes. Boots seemed in the minority. How times have changed.

I also remember that officers were recommended not to wear boots for driving. I think the modern day boot is a bit less cumbersome than the old style hob-nail type!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top