Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Re: Post War Britain Circa 2013

I have always embraced change as it comes along... some things are better some worse like pats said music clothes people.
One of the reasons I like to be in my rural village in France is that it is just like the village I grew up in in Cornwall as a child .... peoples values here are are amazing especially the way they trust you ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Yes Bags - some things should never change - the village in France, a good example - may it always stay as it is - why change....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Yes Bags - some things should never change - the village in France, a good example - may it always stay as it is - why change....
Sometimes change is at the discretion of others, and much to an individuals abhorrence, change happens, that is the roller coaster of life.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

21-04-2013, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I have always embraced change as it comes along... some things are better some worse like pats said music clothes people.
One of the reasons I like to be in my rural village in France is that it is just like the village I grew up in in Cornwall as a child .... peoples values here are are amazing especially the way they trust you ....
we watch a program here called Global Village - it does what it says and France used to feature many times - well rural France. But what amazed me was how rural practices/skills were still used and maintained. and then one day it struck me there was always someone around to carry on - son, daughter, friend etc - that's how rural life doesn't die - and France seems particularly good at it. And maybe rural Germany, Belgium, Holland etc
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 12:23 AM

mindbender - we probably aren't as badly off as the UK in some aspects but I still think things are going downhill here to some extent compared with what they were which is what I guess we were saying.

I was probably thinking in terms of Tasmania too which is much worse off than the other states. Our health system is in complete disarray, unemployment is at a record high, our economy is going rapidly downhill and the whole state is moribund. WA is a very different story as a result of the mining boom. Like the US it depends where you live.

And I agree with your last point.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
I

Once a nation of major industries that supplied materials to the rest of the world – now defunct

Once a nation where children accepted discipline and respected parents – partially defunct
I think you are being a bit hard on Britain, things change, prosperity ebbs and flows. It is only a few centuries since Bristol (or Rome) was the the centre of the universe. Now the centre is moving east and we all have to learn how to deal with it.

Britain has a big opportunity with the devaluation of the pound to spring back economically BUT it will need good leadership something it has lacked badly since the war. What it doesn't need is the slash and burn politics of another Thatcher and her ilk. That appalling woman destroyed Britain's sense of community and probably directly led to the social problems there now.

I am not so pessimistic about the west and its future. Australia has problems too but nothing insurmountable, we just need a new economic niche and serious planning for when the mineral boom ends as it must. It was a pity that Howard squandered the wealth we had in futile tax cuts and middle class welfare but that is the past. Fiscal responsibility looms large.

(Yes Tasmania is a basket case but the mainland is not)
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
we watch a program here called Global Village - it does what it says and France used to feature many times - well rural France. But what amazed me was how rural practices/skills were still used and maintained. and then one day it struck me there was always someone around to carry on - son, daughter, friend etc - that's how rural life doesn't die - and France seems particularly good at it. And maybe rural Germany, Belgium, Holland etc
One of the problems I see is the need to change just for the sake of it with out looking at the long term affects .... Take farming . In Cornwall farmers for years have ignored nature and used chemicals blasting all the goodness out of the country side, so they could grow more, bigger and faster. which maybe because we are a small country less fields than people to feed has been the reason why, who knows ... But the result is they are killing off wild flowers insects killing waterways and polluting the soil for ever. In my life time I have seen the decline in nature in The UK.
In my village here organic has all ways been a way of life its not some new fad for them. fields are still ploughed with the same machinery that has been handed down from father to son.... the tractors here are ready for museums they use no chemicals people work by hand and hard. Every field is rotated on a 3 yearly basis when every 3rd year its left to go wild and planted with grass and wild flowers, the result is I walk in a country side here the air is fresh the wild flowers are everywhere many types of insects and wildlife roam the paths with me. the waterways are clean and full of life. and some thing I havnt seen much of in the UK for a while is the wild fugus, mosses, and algey's are eveywhere here.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

22-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
mindbender - we probably aren't as badly off as the UK in some aspects but I still think things are going downhill here to some extent compared with what they were which is what I guess we were saying.

I was probably thinking in terms of Tasmania too which is much worse off than the other states. Our health system is in complete disarray, unemployment is at a record high, our economy is going rapidly downhill and the whole state is moribund. WA is a very different story as a result of the mining boom. Like the US it depends where you live.

And I agree with your last point.
yes your right forgot about poor old Tassie on the end of the map. could not believe that cold wet Tassie could catch fire like it did. I think it's a great pity that the whole of OZ doesn't share in the wealth of WA - but even WA thinks it is poorly done by from the East coast!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
However good things are there is nothing to be gained by ignoring the bad aspects. Change is easy, improvement is difficult. There are lots of undesirable aspects of modern society that are much worse than in the past and shouldn't be ignored just because some things are better. It's good to be "positive" and optimistic but it sometimes saves people from addressing the problems.

You could apply most of those points to Australia too and I think it's a western world phenomenon. What interests me is how and why they have happened. One is most certainly worse behaviour in schools and poor parenting even among educated parents. Another is the addiction to computers, iphones etc which is definitely having detrimental affects. Another, is as you point out poorer government services because of the current belief that everything should have a monetary value and make a profit.
Absolutely spot on Jay - people may, as individuals, be better off but as a society? My feeling is no - we've taken a few steps backwards in that respect.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Give me the past anyday - had enough to get by 'life' was so much better then.. people 'better' then, clothes, music - 'everything....'
Couldn't agree more Pats

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top