Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Re: Is The RSPCA Still A Worthy Charity?

Fully agree Mups .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
This is a timely discussion IMO, with the Home For Life advert on TV. It is of course a worry for older folk without family ..... who will look after my pets when I'm no longer able to. I myself worry about that but I've already decided NOT to go down the RSPCA route.
Strange you should mention that - I was amending my Will on Friday after I learned that neither of my children will look after my dogs should anything happen to me. My Will has now been amended that my dogs will board at the Manx Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and will be paid for out of the estate until the dogs are either rehomed (not by family) or die - then the money will be available for distribution
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Hi Angieh, have a read up on the policies of Dogs Trust, and the Cinnamon Trust for help in that direction.
I have requested that my old dog be PTS if anything happened to me because I am sure would fret elsewhere, but the younger ones are a different problem.
I understand what a worry it can be, as my son would certainly not want any of my mottley lot.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Did not renew membership after the horse case in Buckinghamshire.
Support the local branch with donations to their shop. They are very aggressive in fundraising which I consider emotional blackmail.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Our Bath Cats & Dogs Home takes in & re-homes unwanted pets and cruelty case animals, my daughter did work experience there. They are very kind and even looked after a poor toothless cat with fiv until it died. They have volunteer dog walkers and fundraising activities. I sent them & the Dogs Trust knitted jumpers for their dogs last year and had lovely replies from both. You can't judge the local homing centres by what the head offices etc do. I shall continue to help the animals directly not by donations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 06:24 PM

I am judging on my local shelter and my experiences with them on a personal level.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 07:39 PM

That's all any of us can do really.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
This is a timely discussion IMO, with the Home For Life advert on TV. It is of course a worry for older folk without family ..... who will look after my pets when I'm no longer able to. I myself worry about that but I've already decided NOT to go down the RSPCA route.
The RSPCA themselves have admitted that 20% of the pets they take in under the "Home for Life" scheme are euthanased rather than rehomed.

The evidence against the RSPCA (for those who bother to look for it) is totally overwhelming and they are taking money from other, more honest charities who really do have animal welfare at heart.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I sent them & the Dogs Trust knitted jumpers for their dogs last year and had lovely replies from both. You can't judge the local homing centres by what the head offices etc do. I shall continue to help the animals directly not by donations.

That's excellent Twizard, you are a very kind lady, doing good in such a practical way is brilliant.
I know many neglected dogs in rescues have such severe mange and hair loss, the coats must be a godsend till their fur grows back.
Where do you get the knitting patterns from?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 10:38 PM

The RSPCA is funded primarily by voluntary donations. In 2009, RSPCA total income was £129,251,000, total expenditure was £119,339,000.[5] Its patron is Queen Elizabeth II.

In 2013 the RSPCA revealed that its chief executive, Gavin Grant, is paid £160,000 a year,

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top