Join for free
Page 11 of 18 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:51 PM

Re: Is it war??

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
You are kidding me!?..Fawlty Towers has been banned??...THat is beyond ridiculous.
I may be wrong, but I haven't seen it for a long time apart from a one-off on a catch-up channel recently.

I really don't know how they got away with it, though, as two words were included which I am sure must be considered illegal these days:

- a three-letter word beginning with W
- a six-letter word beginning with N

both were spoken, quite innocently, by 'the Major'.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 12:07 AM

You are kidding me!?..Fawlty Towers has been banned??...THat is beyond ridiculous.
Not banned, but there was some fuss about the episode where basil imitates german marching and brings the nazi salute. It is orobably mainly the latter as that particular mode of marching is still in use by several countries (russia e.g.).
Contrary to what you perhaps expect it was the germans who laughed the hardest about that scene. For them it is no problem to laugh about themselves.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 12:25 AM

I can't remember the major using the "N" word. I remember the "W" word. Not sure about the UK or Netherlands but in Australia that "W" word is used by Greeks, Italians, Maltese and other southern Europeans as a badge of honour. They call each other by that word. Same as African Americans use the other one to each other. It's a tribal thing. I , personally have never given a moment's thought to how Germans may feel about somebody mocking the Nazi regime. One little part of the resolve that enabled the world to beat Nazi Germany was humour. The one thing that makes psychotic, inadequate and megalomaniacal little twats like Hitler so mad that they lose control is being laughed at. So I'm glad the Germans found it funny. Why wouldn't they?..Apart from some sad and sorry losers who still think Hitler was a good guy. But who cares about their sensibilities?...Not me. As for today's dictatorial maniacs, Turning people like Putin into Dobbie the House Elf, Trumo into a big orange baby and Dressing Xi up like a spoiled panda are part of our defences. Tossers like that need to be laughed at. But I guess that's just an Australian thing. There is nobody here that mistakes the Germany of the Third Reich to the Germany of today. As with Japan and Italy. It's a world long gone..thankfully. I am aware that the goose step is still used in many places. THat;'s OK. IT's just marching. To the Australian eye it appears comically pompous. I hear it is difficult to master and very uncomfortable to execute. What's the point?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 12:43 AM

I can't remember the major using the "N" word. I remember the "W" word. Not sure about the UK or Netherlands but in Australia that "W" word is used by Greeks, Italians, Maltese and other southern Europeans as a badge of honour. They call each other by that word. Same as African Americans use the other one to each other. It's a tribal thing. I , personally have never given a moment's thought to how Germans may feel about somebody mocking the Nazi regime. One little part of the resolve that enabled the world to beat Nazi Germany was humour. The one thing that makes psychotic, inadequate and megalomaniacal little twats like Hitler so mad that they lose control is being laughed at. So I'm glad the Germans found it funny. Why wouldn't they?..Apart from some sad and sorry losers who still think Hitler was a good guy. But who cares about their sensibilities?...Not me. As for today's dictatorial maniacs, Turning people like Putin into Dobbie the House Elf, Trumo into a big orange baby and Dressing Xi up like a spoiled panda are part of our defences. Tossers like that need to be laughed at. But I guess that's just an Australian thing. There is nobody here that mistakes the Germany of the Third Reich to the Germany of today. As with Japan and Italy. It's a world long gone..thankfully.
Oh, he certainly did. It was hilarious, mainly because he did it in such an innocent way when advising the person he was talking to, who had mistakenly thought that the 'N' word referred to Indians, he assured her that they were Africans and that Indians were definitely the 'W' word.

There was no hint of any racist intent in his voice, and that made it even funnier.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 09:09 AM

Posts deleted, if you wish to comment on or discuss the actions of a Moderator please use the appropriate section that is the 'Forum Questions/Feedback' section.
Thank you .
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 09:13 AM

Guy gibsons dog in the dam busters film is called the N word.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Guy gibsons dog in the dam busters film is called the N word.

Right!...You know that in one print of that film shown on TV here they dubbed over it with "Digger"..
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 10:06 AM

Right!...You know that in one print of that film shown on TV here they dubbed over it with "Digger"..
Another part of history erased ....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 10:57 AM

Looks like all parties have agreed an armistice in the fishing
dispute over Jersey's territorial waters?
Or is it that the almighty EU along with the mentally dysfunctional
British government , have just discovered that jersey has never
been part of the EU at all? And has been trading with France through
private treaties between the two countries without the involvement
of either the UK or EU !!
So the channel Islands have been existing for some decades
without the "benefits of EU membership"quite happily untill now!!
Now, due to the arrogance or oversight of the UK/EU hierarchy's
they have almost causedfrance and UK to go to war??
It seems that UK/EU completely forgot that the channel Islands
are an independent state and should be treated as such instead of
assuming they were covered by the EU/UK agreement !!
The fact that this tiny group of islands could exist for so long
without any "benefits" of membership whilst being completely
surrounded by the largest trading bloc in the world must surely
give encouragement to countries such as Scotland as proof
that there is life after independence !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔👍
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-05-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Looks like all parties have agreed an armistice in the fishing
dispute over Jersey's territorial waters?
Or is it that the almighty EU along with the mentally dysfunctional
British government , have just discovered that jersey has never
been part of the EU at all? And has been trading with France through
private treaties between the two countries without the involvement
of either the UK or EU !!
So the channel Islands have been existing for some decades
without the "benefits of EU membership"quite happily untill now!!
Now, due to the arrogance or oversight of the UK/EU hierarchy's
they have almost causedfrance and UK to go to war??
It seems that UK/EU completely forgot that the channel Islands
are an independent state and should be treated as such instead of
assuming they were covered by the EU/UK agreement !!
The fact that this tiny group of islands could exist for so long
without any "benefits" of membership whilst being completely
surrounded by the largest trading bloc in the world must surely
give encouragement to countries such as Scotland as proof
that there is life after independence !!
That's all well and good, except that they - like the Falklands - rely on the UK for their defence.

I think the Frogs have now realised that and will think again before starting a war, because they know that we would win it!

Page 11 of 18 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top