Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 02:18 PM

Re: Another Blow for Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Your talking as if we had a choice in the matter, it was a UK wide vote. Every electoral region in Scotland voted remain but we have been dragged out against our will with no choice but to accept the result.
The “once in a generation “ thing was a campaign slogan, you’ll search in vain to find any such quote in the Edinburgh Agreement “, at least it wasn’t written on the side of a bus.
Same old narrative, same old answers. Move on, “events dear boy”, as someone said.
Come now, Nicola & the SNP had a choice before the Brexit referendum.
She could have said "No".
She could have otherwise objected formally before the referendum.
Instead she did nothing.
So thanks to the SNP the Scottish public decided to participate in the referendum with the complicit understanding that by doing so the outcome - whatever it would be - must be honoured.
That's how a democratic vote works and if you don't like that you should be holding the SNP responsible.
They led you to where you are now.

You as individuals also had a choice.
Had large numbers of Scots abstained or spoiled their votes, the objection wouldd have been noted and some disagreement might have had a degree of merit but none of that happened.
You chose to vote.
Accept the outcome.

A "campaign slogan" eh?

You should have told your then-boss Alec Salmond that when he said it on a BBC interview with Andrew Marr, where he also promised that there would be a "generational gap" before independence would be sought again.
He also says that in his opinion it should be at least a once-in-a-generation if not a once-in-a-lifetime vote - and he was at that time the leader of the SNP remember.

Here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-29196661
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Your agreeing with me, Solasch. The Barnett Formula is there for a reason.
Isn't that because westminster takes away from scotland those income sources it needs to build an economy of its own?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

me
You should have told your then-boss Alec Salmond that when he said it on a BBC interview with Andrew Marr, where he also promised that there would be a "generational gap" before independence would be sought again.
He also says that in his opinion it should be at least a once-in-a-generation if not a once-in-a-lifetime vote - and he was at that time the leader of the SNP remember.

Here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-29196661
Could there be a connection between this statement and the fact salmond in now without seat?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Could there be a connection between this statement and the fact salmond in now without seat?
What counts is that at the time of the Scottish independence referendum the then SNP leader made it perfectly clear that the indyref would be a once-in-a-lifetime event.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
What counts is that at the time of the Scottish independence referendum the then SNP leader made it perfectly clear that the indyref would be a once-in-a-lifetime event.
Oh please, give it up. I remember Boris saying “ I’d rather die in a ditch” than ask the EU for an extension of Brexit beyond October 2019! We know how that went, I didn’t expect him to carry out his threat.
As for your previous comment re accepting the Brexit vote, of course we had to accept it, that’s the whole point.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

12-05-2021, 06:34 PM

Oh please, give it up. I remember Boris saying “ I’d rather die in a ditch” than ask the EU for an extension of Brexit beyond October 2019! We know how that went, I didn’t expect him to carry out his threat.
As for your previous comment re accepting the Brexit vote, of course we had to accept it, that’s the whole point.
I don't need to give anything up.
Those determined to ignore facts as well as refusing to repect a democratic decision probably do though.

Boris isn't being discussed here, the indyref is and because I showed that were wrong about your "campaign slogan" claim you're blustering.
Thankfully there remain more than enough Scots to oppose independence at this moment in time.
You've seen some on here, surely?
Their views count too you know.

Scots were not forced to vote.
They decided to voluntarily participate in a democratic referendum.
Nic Sturegeon accepted it.
As I said: had a reasonable number of voters refused to vote or deliberately spoiled their papers as a form of objection you might have had some chance of arguing against the vote.
But that didn't happen.
Now man up and accept the consequences.

When the SNP can give us a full, complete and honest plan for post-independence which is correctly budgeted they might stand a chance.
Until then the SNP are just pi$$ing in the wind which generally speaking is pretty much all they've ever been any good at.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 11:02 AM

The once in a generation referendum was agreed between the UK government and Holyrood.

Big difference ...

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top