Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 01:07 PM

Number Plate Cloning - Perfect Crime?

Just reading, in the DT (Money Section), about people facing fines of thousands of pounds, after having their number plates cloned.

(cloning = making up a set of plates, with someone else's registration, such that any fines go to the original reg owner.)

One london Plumber found that his number plates were cloned, about 2 years ago, and has since received penalties totalling £17,000.

Fines for failing to pay London congestion charges, etc. etc.etc. were all escalated by the various councils.

He has already had to pay £7000.00.

How do you get around this?

You don't!

You, probably, won't even know it's happening until the penalties start getting chased up.

The only suggestion, being offered, is to write to the authority telling them "it's not me!

The DVLA says contact the police, if you think you've been cloned.

Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:33 PM

Re: Number Plate Cloning - Perfect Crime?

A chassis number check should identify if a vehicle has false plates.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A chassis number check should identify if a vehicle has false plates.
A parking charge notice doesn't show the vin/chassis number.

Though I do think the warden should take a photo of those vin numbers that are shown on the windscreen.

I had a parking charge come through, luckily I could prove I was in London at the time.

After supplying them with debit card receipts that proved I was they cancelled the charge.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 04:52 PM

I think that plumber must be a few washers short of a fixed leaking tap. If that had been me, I would have re-registered my vehicle long before now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 05:01 PM

If you are in receipt of a fine and you believe that your vehicle's number plate has been cloned, surely the first question should be, do you have a photograph?
It is unlikely that someone cloning your number plate would own exactly the same model of car and colour.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If you are in receipt of a fine and you believe that your vehicle's number plate has been cloned, surely the first question should be, do you have a photograph?
It is unlikely that someone cloning your number plate would own exactly the same model of car and colour.
From what I've seen on TV programmes like The Interceptors, they do and they're usually stolen vehicles at that.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 07:14 PM

Its rather easy I'm afraid.

Thieves steal a car, for example a Black 09 Mondeo.

They then look online for a black 09 Mondeo for sale.

They put the Reg number through MID(motor insurance database) to check its insured, if so they then check its tax and Mot status with DVLA, also online, if this all comes back as positive they have plates made and affix to the stolen vehicle.

The stolen car then becomes legitimate and totally legal as far as the police ANPR cameras are concerned

Another big negative from technological advances.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
Its rather easy I'm afraid.

Thieves steal a car, for example a Black 09 Mondeo.

They then look online for a black 09 Mondeo for sale.

They put the Reg number through MID(motor insurance database) to check its insured, if so they then check its tax and Mot status with DVLA, also online, if this all comes back as positive they have plates made and affix to the stolen vehicle.

The stolen car then becomes legitimate and totally legal as far as the police ANPR cameras are concerned

Another big negative from technological advances.
Yes. Good point. No easy answer, I'm afraid.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 09:57 PM

Yes. Good point. No easy answer, I'm afraid.
Other than sell the car earlier than perhaps you intended to and buy another one!

Is there actually anyone on the side of the ordinary punter who is getting ripped-off
or scammed it seems, on everything and in all ways possible?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-03-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Other than sell the car earlier than perhaps you intended to and buy another one!
Yes, but the criminals would just do the same with another one!

What I meant was, I can't see an easy answer to preventing such a crime. Obviously, I wouldn't buy a second-hand car without checking its identity - VIN, for example.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top