Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 05:27 AM

Re: That's it, I've had enough, I'm off...

Happy trails Bruce..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 02:28 PM

Bruce, some people casually call their road trips "adventures" but in your case, that is definitely the proper term to use! It looks fantastic, and I am sure you are thoroughly enjoying having your daughter with you.

If you are deterred by rain, will you try other locales?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Bruce, some people casually call their road trips "adventures" but in your case, that is definitely the proper term to use! It looks fantastic, and I am sure you are thoroughly enjoying having your daughter with you.

If you are deterred by rain, will you try other locales?
Yes, we can drive north into the warmer weather of outback Queensland. In many ways my daughter is a more experienced "free" camper than me. Her vehicle has an awning that spreads round three sides of her vehicle, she sleeps in a swag under this awning whereas I sleep in my camper which I have to tow. She and her husband and/or girlfriends spend just about every weekend in the bush somewhere.

She is going to cook for me, usually I go to a pub or club for food or cook very simple meals (like boiled eggs or rice based). She cooks lovely meals I wouldn't even dream of

With the borders closed there is a lot more demand for local travel for example it was reported on the news yesterday that there is no accommodation available for love nor money in Darwin even this early in the dry season.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 03:28 PM

The apple didn't fall far from your tree, Bruce! I imagine that like here, one could spend a lifetime exploring new places. Having some hearty cooking will be a real treat; I buckled down and really learned how to perfect camp cooking when we went to Alaska and we wanted to camp remotely for several weeks. It takes quite a bit of creative planning and shopping, but I am sure you will enjoy the fruits of her efforts!

Your daughter sounds like she has a good setup for sleeping. I remember you showing us her single combo tent/sleeping bag. Do you all have an issue with insects and needing screens? My favorite piece of equipment is a screened canopy that fits over standard picnic table; I wouldn't travel around here without it.

Domestic travel here is likewise expected to be through the roof through the summer because of international travel restrictions and people spending the lockdown chomping at the bit to get outdoors again. My understanding is that it is all but impossible to get camping spots, and even reservations just to enter some parks.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 05:16 PM

Hi

All being well I will be travelling again soon.

Not my usual long distance, just the UK.

So many places I have not been to.

I love the coast and my fishing.

I have a car I can sleep in, and a tent, but much prefer a guest house with an en suite to be honest.

I like to feel and smell clean.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 04:19 AM

The apple didn't fall far from your tree, Bruce! I imagine that like here, one could spend a lifetime exploring new places. Having some hearty cooking will be a real treat; I buckled down and really learned how to perfect camp cooking when we went to Alaska and we wanted to camp remotely for several weeks. It takes quite a bit of creative planning and shopping, but I am sure you will enjoy the fruits of her efforts!

Your daughter sounds like she has a good setup for sleeping. I remember you showing us her single combo tent/sleeping bag. Do you all have an issue with insects and needing screens? My favorite piece of equipment is a screened canopy that fits over standard picnic table; I wouldn't travel around here without it.

Domestic travel here is likewise expected to be through the roof through the summer because of international travel restrictions and people spending the lockdown chomping at the bit to get outdoors again. My understanding is that it is all but impossible to get camping spots, and even reservations just to enter some parks.
The swag is just like a tent in that it has "doors" backed with flyscreen gauze. Yes we do have insects, mozzies that could fly off with you in some places but at this time of the year they won't be a major problem I suspect. Mice might be more common at the moment.

She was telling me on the phone last night that over the weekend she and some girlfriends went camping in a national park (I think it was) so she was able to test some new thermals and a new sleeping bag.

They were camped quite high up in mountains (that is relative, Australia is very flat compared to younger continents) She told me she woke up about 2am a bit too hot even though it was freezing outside.

Personally I have not owned a swag since I was in my 20s and working in the bush, they were very different affairs in those days, but if I did have one now I think I would prefer a couple of doonas (duvets?) to a sleeping bag in a modern swag.

This is a bit of info about them from a camping retailer so you can see different styles, these days getting in and out would be a problem for me.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-05-2021, 06:56 PM

All interesting, Bruce. I watched the video and realize why your daughter would like the swags - easy set up, all one unit, no bugs.

I have to confess that for a me, a tent and an air mattress are my preferred way to camp. I tend to like the air circulation and size of a tent, and the quality and ease of use with air mattresses just can't be beat.

Swimfeeders I hope you are getting outdoors soon! Nothing wrong with leaning towards more civilized forms of travel. I am not one for roughing it too much myself anymore, but give me a way to shower and a hairdryer and I am happy enough.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-05-2021, 11:43 PM

All interesting, Bruce. I watched the video and realize why your daughter would like the swags - easy set up, all one unit, no bugs.

I have to confess that for a me, a tent and an air mattress are my preferred way to camp. I tend to like the air circulation and size of a tent, and the quality and ease of use with air mattresses just can't be beat.

Swimfeeders I hope you are getting outdoors soon! Nothing wrong with leaning towards more civilized forms of travel. I am not one for roughing it too much myself anymore, but give me a way to shower and a hairdryer and I am happy enough.
Actually I have a self inflating air mattress but these days it is mostly used when I stay at friend's houses without a spare bed. My daughter and her hubby do use a tent as well when they go bush depends where and for how long.

Personally I would not be without my daily shower no matter where I go. I have an ensuite tent for this purpose (12v shower pump) but this trip I am experimenting with a tent on the side of my camper. It was designed to go on the back of an SUV but I am hoping to modify it.

https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...ade/BP90166002

It was on special for $119 so if it doesn't work then I give it away. No great loss.

Having said all that we will probably stay mostly at caravan parks which of course have power, showers, camp kitchens etc and for about $30 a night are pretty good value for money. However we are prepared to free camp too.

I am loading up today and setting off for Canberra tomorrow
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-05-2021, 04:43 AM

Nice, Bruce. That looks like a good setup for a shower. I was lucky to pin this one down locally and unused for $60. It works well, but in our part of the world, it doesn't dry out easily, so it's not great when it's hot and humid.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/nem...-tent_10474505

Full-service campsites definitely have their advantages. Unfortunately they will be packed to the gills from now through the summer. Reservations are already hard to come by.

I hope the roads are dry, the kangaroos are few, and the scenery is interesting on your Canberra trip! Looking forward to the report!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-05-2021, 05:34 AM

Been packing my car today.

Fridge is on and full (beer, marg, cheese and eggs), 20 litres of diesel to the right, 60 litres of water just visible at the back, table, chair, awning, poo bucket (getting too old to squat), some food and air pump behind the fridge. Recovery equipment and tools in the drawers, clothes, maps and books on the back seat.

Leaving the car out in the sun so the solar can charge the aux battery, tyres and fluids checked.

Just my daughter's swag and 10 litres of petrol to be added when I get to her place.

Nearly ready...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030107.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	15554  

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top