Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 09:03 PM

Roberts Rambles 4

Water Towers and Windmills

I know......Three on the trot, but I think my buttock is getting better. A rest day tomorrow and something special on Thursday.

The problem with local walking is the fact that 8 miles has more or less been my range while recuperating, that means a four mile radius around the place I live. So now I need to walk at least four miles before I see anything new....However....

This walk could be called Water Towers and Windmills....
Back in the day it made a good 8 mile run and became the 'Water Tower Round' but it's really changed since the eighties and nineties. Housing estates as big as a small African country, and Oh! the traffic....

A walk along this path through the Bluebell Woods with the sun filtering through the canopy.

This is the windmill of the title, if I had loads of money I would love to restore it....

And here is the water tower, built at the end of the 19th century and includes a borehole bringing fresh water up from the sedimentary rock below...

The rate at which new houses are going up is astounding, I hardly recognise the place...

These are the stats if anyone is interested. It was so warm and sunny that I had to take me coat off for this one.....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	15547   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	15548   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	15549   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	15550   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15551  

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 09:35 PM

Re: Roberts Rambles 4

Foxy, we have the same problem, its great living just outside the conurbation but, you have to travel a few miles to find new pastures, hence the Ebikes, the adventure don't start until at least five miles have been covered.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Foxy, we have the same problem, its great living just outside the conurbation but, you have to travel a few miles to find new pastures, hence the Ebikes, the adventure don't start until at least five miles have been covered.
Now the lockdown is over I'll start driving to the start of some of my favourite walks Spitty and save the local ones for the next lockdown.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 09:45 PM

My thought also, might get a van, my wish is to revisit Carsington, last time there 1996, with four bikes on a carrier, can't be doing with that no more, this time with Epower, no excuse for family slacking this time.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

19-05-2021, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
My thought also, might get a van, my wish is to revisit Carsington, last time there 1996, with four bikes on a carrier, can't be doing with that no more, this time with Epower, no excuse for family slacking this time.
can't you two sleep at all?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-05-2021, 06:44 AM

This is about Exercise & Fitness, slumber is an irritation.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 08:07 AM

Oh lovely photo's again, Foxy! That windmill would look fabulous if it got restored. And I love your Bluebell wood! Yes, travelling far and wide is becoming the norm now - Mr P spends more time traveling (on public transport) to and from his destinations, than he does walking, sometimes.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 08:25 AM

I miss the walks with the U3A (https://www.u3a.org.uk/). Although they weren't testing walks, they often involved my friend and I driving to a starting point some miles away, which meant different views to local walks.

I had to stop the group walks in the end. The scenery and company was good but I have to choose my own times and lengths of times I can be away from home (result of the illness that originated back when I was forty).

I suppose I could use the car to get to a starting point and go for a lone walk somewhere else but the area of land near here is large. It serves the purpose of getting me out and exercised. The manual bike will come more into play to get to more distant places once the weather dries up a bit.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 03:49 AM

Well between you and Mart, OGF, I am about ready to pack my bags and immigrate! It looks simply gorgeous. I'd like to get my hands on that windmill too! Can you imagine how beautiful it was in its early days?

Good pace, amazing distance, OGF. How are your shoes working out with this change in stride?

Let's not set aside the remarkable engineering and luxury it was to having a water tower in one's town in the 1800s. It wasn't just the running water, but the security fire protection that must have been a great source of pride for the community.

Are those houses separated or connected in that new development?

I am with you all in needing to go farther afield for a change of scenery. My house is located in an unusual place that requires a drive to run or cycle most anywhere, especially the trails and beaches. Though I've been mostly running the last few months, I am eager to get on the bike now that the temperatures are consistently warm.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

20-05-2021, 04:09 AM

Hi OGF - just wondering whether this applied to you with your busy lifestyle and all your schedules?/

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210518-how-overwork-is-literally-killing-us?ocid=global_worklife_rss&xtor=ES-213-[BBC%20News%20Newsletter]-2021May19-[worklife]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top