Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 09:19 PM

Re: I finished them!

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What's a mufti day? I'm thinking it might means wear what you like, or a dress down day, but does it stand for anything?
I was also wondering what that was Pixie, I’ve never heard that expression before....
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What's a mufti day? I'm thinking it might means wear what you like, or a dress down day, but does it stand for anything?

Oh I thought this was a widely used term, but maybe it's only popular in our part of the UK. It means a 'dress down' day, wear what you like. It is, I think, used by the military when in civilian clothing. I found this on wiki:

The word originates from the Arabic: Mufti (مفتي) meaning an Islamic scholar. It has been used by the British Army since 1816 and is thought to derive from the vaguely Eastern style dressing gowns and tasselled caps worn by off-duty officers in the early 19th century. Yule and Burnell's Hobson-Jobson: A Glossary of Colloquial Anglo-Indian Words and Phrases, and of Kindred Terms, Etymological, Historical, Geographical and Discursive (1886) notes that the word was "perhaps originally applied to the attire of dressing-gown, smoking-cap, and slippers, which was like the Oriental dress of the Mufti".[3]

Heavens, now I'm wondering how long it'll be before the usage is banned for being racist, or for deriving from a style of dress that was culturally appropriated
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Nice job Bathsheba.

There's some talented and gifted folk on this site. Sadly, that doesn't include me.
Ah - but it does!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Thanks Tabby - have a closer look, it's actually a cat and a dog curled round each other!
So it is - even lovelier!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

10-06-2021, 10:47 AM

The day I take orders would be the day my enjoyable hobby becomes 'work', and all the fun would go out of it!
I know that feeling - when I was at college (light years ago!) I used to spend my weekends makings earrings - and sell them in the college coffee shop to help pay my fees. It was fun - at first - but soon became a chore. Didn't make any jewellery at all for a long time afterward.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Oh I thought this was a widely used term, but maybe it's only popular in our part of the UK. It means a 'dress down' day, wear what you like. It is, I think, used by the military when in civilian clothing. I found this on wiki:

The word originates from the Arabic: Mufti (مفتي) meaning an Islamic scholar. It has been used by the British Army since 1816 and is thought to derive from the vaguely Eastern style dressing gowns and tasselled caps worn by off-duty officers in the early 19th century. Yule and Burnell's Hobson-Jobson: A Glossary of Colloquial Anglo-Indian Words and Phrases, and of Kindred Terms, Etymological, Historical, Geographical and Discursive (1886) notes that the word was "perhaps originally applied to the attire of dressing-gown, smoking-cap, and slippers, which was like the Oriental dress of the Mufti".[3]

Heavens, now I'm wondering how long it'll be before the usage is banned for being racist, or for deriving from a style of dress that was culturally appropriated
Thanks for that, Sheba! I think its a cute name, with an interesting history, so I hope it stays and nobody gets all uppity over its usage!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 04:51 PM

Brilliant job, really impressive.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Brilliant job, really impressive.
Thank you so much LD

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top