Join for free
Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:33 PM

Re: Enid Blyton For the Chop.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You're putting yourself forward for the job?
Nope. I said a real man
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:47 PM

Whilst we're on a minor deviation, did any of you read the Mystery series by Alfred Hitchcock? Loved reading those.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well, I suppose that confusion is unavoidable when Americans debase our language.
American style English is has not debased anything. It is simply more precise. If you call a flashlight a torch, then what in the world do you call fire on the end of a stick. ? The rest of the world uses the word 'torch' to refer to fire on the end of a stick OR a bundle of dry reeds bound tightly together and set aflame at one end. ie something first used by our ancient ancestors.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-06-2021, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
American style English is has not debased anything. It is simply more precise. If you call a flashlight a torch, then what in the world do you call fire on the end of a stick. ? The rest of the world uses the word 'torch' to refer to fire on the end of a stick OR a bundle of dry reeds bound tightly together and set aflame at one end. ie something first used by our ancient ancestors.
Hi Bakerman.

Please don't take offence at anything us Brits say in relation to language. All of us on here (from all countries) tend to look with disdain at the deviation from our rose tinted spectacled early experiences that the younger generation wish to follow.

This is true when looking at the evolution of language.

When one considers the history of the US and the significant number of immigrants that contributed towards its growth and development over the last couple of hundred years, it comes as no surprise that variations of the English language have come unto pass (especially in the "precise" element you refer to, which is no doubt partly due to immigrants following the rote school lesson "rules" when they learnt their new language); in precisely the same way that it has happened within England itself. Indeed, even localised dialect has played a part to create "odd" words and turns of phrase.

To be honest, it is perhaps more surprising that American English has stayed so relatively close to UK English.

It's not a competition, after all.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:27 PM

I knew that would hit a nerve.

It's called English for a reason. It's the language invented by and used by English people.

The language you use should be called 'American'!

I mean, who would call an arse a 'fanny'?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Hi Bakerman.

Please don't take offence at anything us Brits say in relation to language. All of us on here (from all countries) tend to look with disdain at the deviation from our rose tinted spectacled early experiences that the younger generation wish to follow.

This is true when looking at the evolution of language.

When one considers the history of the US and the significant number of immigrants that contributed towards its growth and development over the last couple of hundred years, it comes as no surprise that variations of the English language have come unto pass (especially in the "precise" element you refer to, which is no doubt partly due to immigrants following the rote school lesson "rules" when they learnt their new language); in precisely the same way that it has happened within England itself. Indeed, even localised dialect has played a part to create "odd" words and turns of phrase.

To be honest, it is perhaps more surprising that American English has stayed so relatively close to UK English.

It's not a competition, after all.
The English we speak now (in England) is super-different to English as it once was. Plus English-English is itself a linguistic mongrel.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:54 PM

As for Enid I can't make up my mind whether she was racist, sexist or woke....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The English we speak now (in England) is super-different to English as it once was. Plus English-English is itself a linguistic mongrel.
Indeed. I am always amazed at the number of words we use daily that are actually words from other languages. Most notably , perhaps, German and French and Spanish.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-06-2021, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As for Enid I can't make up my mind whether she was racist, sexist or woke....
Don't know much about her. For all we (i.e. I) know, she might have been writing with a deliberate parody in mind, in the same way that the Flashman series was written.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-06-2021, 12:19 AM

Indeed. I am always amazed at the number of words we use daily that are actually words from other languages. Most notably , perhaps, German and French and Spanish.
Always struck me as a bit of a pity that Esperanto never took off.

Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top