Join for free
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 12:59 PM

Re: Enid Blyton For the Chop.

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yep I know Harbal, but if your fat, your fat, if your a tealeaf then your a tealeaf, and if your black, your black. Facts.
And if your a fat, lying, black racist, then you might end up as shadow home secretary for a bit.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Things are really getting unbelievable now, Enid Blyton Racist? Sorry but this really is a step too far in my mind. She has been a favourite of millions of children world wide and I can't remember her ever being racist, can you?
This English Heritage lot need locking up.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Enid B was born in 1897 and lived through the two World wars.

I make this point because, my experience of WW2 (I wasn't around in WW!) is that the Government had a real strategy of Racial Assault on all & Sundry.

It was the thing to do, when I was a kid, as hatred of Germans, Japanese. was a must do & we were not in a position to argue.

The newsreels held very little back.

Comedy programs were, equally, allowed (if not encouraged) to do it.

Then as the influx of immigrants workers got back under way, and the UK workers realised that their jobs might be at risk, it all grew again.

The Unions got on the same horse!

So, I suggest that, before we spend much time fixing the man in the street, we should get the Media & the Government sorted first!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
we should not be plagiarising the idiots for her classic works
Whatever do you mean by that, Besoeker?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I remember the Billy Bunter TV series from when I was a kid, I used to watch it. Had Bunter been black, I'm not sure it would have been quite the same. We weren't used to that sort of thing in those days.
Yes, I used to watch it too. I loved it, and can picture Billy Bunter even now. I was very young, and I remember the hilarity I felt when Bunter cut a slice from a big chocolate cake and took the rest of the cake for himself, leaving just the slice for everyone else. To a 5 year old that was the ultimate in humour

I can't imagine a TV show of that kind starring a black child, not in those days. I don't think the average person was intentionally racist back then, but as a society we were certainly not inclusive.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:05 PM

Whatever do you mean by that, Besoeker?
Exactly what I meant.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Exactly what I meant.
Well if that sentence means something to you, Besoeker, you must know something about the English language that I don't.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:16 PM

Well if that sentence means something to you, Besoeker, you must know something about the English language that I don't.
Me too.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-06-2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Me too.
Are you also struggling with it Dex?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-06-2021, 01:24 PM

Are you also struggling with it Dex?
Yep. Besoerker is a man of few words, but usually grammatically correct.

Am struggling with his language on this one though.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-06-2021, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Yep. Besoerker is a man of few words, but usually grammatically correct.

Am struggling with his language on this one though.
That's a relief, I thought it might just be me.

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top