Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 09:13 PM

Re: right unit wrong fitting

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I think that there's still a perception that some trades are monkey work which any old diy'er can do.

Even my paltry course in plumbing opened my eyes. There's stuff that pro trades just "know" through training and time served experience.

Ploughing through the specs on most building work also indicates that there's a whole load more to it than meets the eye. A friend of mine was having a loft conversion done recently which required steels. The calcs alone would be enough to make one's eyes swivel.
The worst time is when you qualify on paper, then go to do your real first job. It takes a while to really know what you are doing and to learn by mistakes. The odd thing though, is when you get a bit stuck that's when the training kicks in. All those rules and regs suddenly become useful.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top