Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 07:18 PM

Wildlife!

We spent most of today out in the garden 'cos there were a number of things we needed to catch-up on but it's quite funny out there these days!

We put out all sorts of things for the birds - so much so that it feels like it's their garden and we look after it for them.

On my hands and knees working away at something I suddenly get confronted by a very small, rather noisy little pair of juvenile Great Tits today, squawking at me and flapping those diddy wings demanding to be fed!

Bit nonplussed as to what to do I go over to a feeder and get a handful of suet and sprinkle it down beside where I am weeding where the two little 'uns are still yabbering away at me I get back to what I'm doing, only to see two adult Great Tits come down and pick up the suet I've put down to feed to these young ones - about a foot from where I am trying to work!

I get ignored!

I also have to stop as they are right beside me, still calling and fluttering their wings, and the parents are feeding them so close to me I could almost do it myself!

The trust these creatures have in humans is just amazing and to be honest, we've never seen this quite so much before!

We even had a Robin in the kitchen later - in our KITCHEN, at the drawer where we keep all the bird feed, as if it actually knew that, plus we have had bees coming down from above, from the nest they've built above in our roof we think, dying on our doorstep, just like the Miner Bees have done for years, further down our garden.

Quite sad really 'cos they seem to die-off after they've built their nest and sorted-out the next generation but this lot are landing on the doorstep and expiring there, as if we are supposed to deal with their little bodies.

I dunno - maybe it's just us but do you ever find the wildlife that uses your garden do this sort of thing? stevmk2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Re: Wildlife!

It is amazing how accommodating some species of wildlife become, ive encountered plenty of examples when im out and about, feeding areas at country parks where they will land on your hand to take some seed, they become used to people and lose their natural fear.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Ah, that's smashing Steve, how lovely to be trusted like that.. I wish my garden birds were that tame, although a little robin comes and checks the food I put out, and watches me at quite close range sometimes. I expect its my flippin' dogs chasing round the garden that make my wild birds wary.
Tweety
Scotland
Tweety is female  Tweety has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:06 PM

We spent a fortune on feeding the birds....we used to get red squirrels pinching the nuts too, it was a sight to see...BUT we got 2 cats and now I've taken it all down, shame really. I miss watching them.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 02:29 PM

That is so lovely to hear Steve

We also put food out for the birds, when we go to the garden centre we pick up the coconuts with food in, you have never seen anything like it, the word goes out and then we are inundated with birds. We have also started putting the pellets down for them which they devour.

I always make sure that I don't have my washing out until the food has gone as I don't want them pooping on my wash.

I am sure that we have some of the same birds coming back each day as they come up to the window and look in as if to say feeding time.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
That is so lovely to hear Steve

We also put food out for the birds, when we go to the garden centre we pick up the coconuts with food in, you have never seen anything like it, the word goes out and then we are inundated with birds. We have also started putting the pellets down for them which they devour.

I always make sure that I don't have my washing out until the food has gone as I don't want them pooping on my wash.
I am sure that we have some of the same birds coming back each day as they come up to the window and look in as if to say feeding time.
That made me laugh!

We're plagued by pigeons here - really destructive they are too so if we're out in the garden we shoo them away.

Out of a line of three cars out front, who's car get pooped on?

Just mine! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top