Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Re: Home Grown

I don't have a large garden but do grow cherry tomatoes. They've just started flowering so it'll be a few weeks before we're picking them. Can't wait, shop bought ones are often tasteless.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I don't have a large garden but do grow cherry tomatoes. They've just started flowering so it'll be a few weeks before we're picking them. Can't wait, shop bought ones are often tasteless.
I used to grow cherry tomato plants because I loved picking some off the plant when I was outside & eating them right away. Problem was, they always seemed to have tough skin.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 12:16 AM

Hard skins can be caused by a few things - variety of tomato, not enough water, and high temperatures - well, that's what I was told years ago!
I've got 4 cherry tomato plants growing.
I can't get enough of them! Yummy!
The dogs like them too! We had to fence off our veggie garden because they used to help themselves to them!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 12:22 AM

Thanks, that would do it. The sun gets very intense & I wasn't out there watering constantly. Good I gave up on the whole thing.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 06:55 AM

I have 2 veggie patches. One is planted with potatoes the first of which will be ready for eating next month. In the other one I have 19 tomato plants, root celery, runner beans,french beans, peas, kohl rabbi, swiss chard, NZ spinach, cucumbers, courgettes, yellow peppers, butternut, carrots, parsnips, spring onion, onions, lettuce and radish.

I'm already picking peas, baby carrots and swiss chard and what ever I can't eat I'm freezing for winter. This year I should have a bumper crop of tomatoes most of which will end up in the freezer to be used in sauces and stews.

Jazzie .... Kohl rabbi is expensive over here even though its a popular vegetable. As well as roasting it, I add it to to stews or boil it and serve it with a cheese sauce ... not one one of my favourite veggies though!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 07:44 AM

That's a lot of wonderful veggies ZsaZsa!
Besides cherry tomatoes, we have 4 normal-sized ones. What we don't eat we usually give away. I used to make tomato sauce from them, but I've got lazy in my old age!
I do freeze extra carrots, parsnips, etc.
This year, for fun, we've tried growing a few corn plants. We have a rather short growing season, so it will be interesting to see how they go.
We're not expecting anything, but it would be nice to at least get some baby corn!
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 01:33 PM

I don't think you can beat new potatoes..freshly dug from the earth...and boiled..they are divine..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
I don't think you can beat new potatoes..freshly dug from the earth...and boiled..they are divine..

I agree with that Lilac, dug and cooked same day - delicious.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
That's what we are having tomorrow.............with chicken.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada

21-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Ah, my mouth is watering!
Can't wait for ours!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top