Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Re: Lavender Plant

Perfect! Thanks Mags

Yes, I never realized how huge this plant would get & I just love it! Its in bloom right now & I brought some stems inside, so far my birds have left it alone

I'll have to find out how I could dry it for sachets. I wish I knew how to make real lavender oil because the boughten oil is so expensive.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
They can be grown from cuttings Orangutan but apparently not very successful.

Propagation

It can be propagated from pencil-thick cuttings taken between September and November, either heeled or cut under the leaf node.These will root more quickly with bottom heat and mist. But even without, cuttings should root within a year. Plants raised from seed are variable.

Follow Mups instructions to try.
Thanks, Sandi. Maybe I'll just buy another one!
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Hello, I successfully just stick a large number of little cuttings in any old pot & you can get a 50- 80 % or more success from them. Hubby then sells them on!
P.S. This is French Lavender & the common English Lavender.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=Sandi;494166]They can be grown from cuttings Orangutan but apparently not very successful.

I think they can be grown by layering too, but never tried it.
Have a look on the RHS website, they're usually pretty good for advice.
QUOTE]
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2014, 02:10 PM

I don't usually cover as I find this can cause mould. Lavender usually roots very easily. In one house I re-rooted a whole lavender hedge as the original had become very straggly and unsightly. This year, for the first time, I have tried growing from seed. Not sure what I am going to do with the plants, but it did seem a good idea at the time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2014, 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=Celyn;499898]I don't usually cover as I find this can cause mould. Lavender usually roots very easily. In one house I re-rooted a whole lavender hedge as the original had become very straggly and unsightly. This year, for the first time, I have tried growing from seed. Not sure what I am going to do with the plants, but it did seem a good idea at the time.[/QUOTE]

I'm guilty of this too Celyn. I grow no end of seeds and then have far more plants then I need or want, but I do so love growing things. I must cut down and only grow what I actually need in future, that would be far more sensible.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Aldi had the seed kit on offer and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Like you Mups, can't resist the thrill of growing. I also get very excited when cuttings have taken. My garden is full of *my friends* Cutting s that have been taken from from cuttings. I have lived in several places in the UK and took cuttings from friends gardens. Each time I moved I took cuttings from those. I walk around my garden and am reminded of so many people.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-07-2014, 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=Celyn;499911]Aldi had the seed kit on offer and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Like you Mups, can't resist the thrill of growing. I also get very excited when cuttings have taken. My garden is full of *my friends* Cutting s that have been taken from from cuttings. I have lived in several places in the UK and took cuttings from friends gardens. Each time I moved I took cuttings from those. I walk around my garden and am reminded of so many people.[/QUOTE]

Ooh 'eck. I think we're clones.
Celyn
Hampshire

13-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Mups, no ones plants are safe. Never invite me around to tea! I am the one that lurks behind bushes at stately homes.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
They can be grown from cuttings Orangutan but apparently not very successful.

Propagation

It can be propagated from pencil-thick cuttings taken between September and November, either heeled or cut under the leaf node.These will root more quickly with bottom heat and mist. But even without, cuttings should root within a year. Plants raised from seed are variable.

Follow Mups instructions to try.
Thanks Sandy, a whole year? I guess I'd have to bring them indoors, or cheaper just to buy new plants,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top