Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
retiredandhappy
New Member!
West Mids
retiredandhappy is female 

09-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Tomatoes - again

I have a greenhouse full of tomato plants, all heavily loaded! But not one of the fruits is ripening yet

Am I being impatient, or will it happen? Have I done something wrong? I've done all the regular feeding, watering and side-shoot-picking, as per the books.

I've never grown tomatoes before, so sorry if this seems a bit of a daft question!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Re: Tomatoes - again

Hi D I think it depends on a number off actors when tomatoes ripen including of course the weather/when planted/variety. I would be patient, it the tomatoes are on there they should ripen in time.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:20 AM

I've picked 11oz so far but I sow my seeds earlier than most people do. They'll ripen when they're ready if you look after them well. It's important to never let the soil dry out and to feed a couple of times a week.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 01:20 PM

Mine are nowhere near ripe yet, will be another month I should think. Keep up the good work Deedee, you'll be rewarded.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 06:50 PM

My neighbour has a greenhouse full of tomatoes - all green! He always shares them around the neighbourhood but we've had none, as yet. Must be late this year everywhere.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 07:28 PM

No reason you can't enjoy a green tomato.. I LOVE them sliced and battered with corn meal... Fry up one and see how delish..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:03 PM

I've never tried eating green tomatoes Audreyll - are they alright if they're not ripe?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 10:39 PM

A couple of trusses on my tomatoes have got some tiny immature tomatoes on them, hardly bigger than a pin head, yet further along on the same truss, the toms are developing normally. I've never seen this before and don't know what the cause is because I don't think those peculiar miniscule ones are likely to grow for some reason.
The plants are fed and watered correctly, so I am wondering if its either the compost I bought this year, or the feed itself, which is Wilkinson's own brand tomato feed instead of the usual Tomorite I use. I carefully compared the feed balances before I bought it and they were practically identical, so I can't see why this has happened. Just incase they are lacking in nutrients though, tonight I have given them a good feed with Phostrogen, which has considerably higher Potassium, see if that helps.
Anyone else ever seen this before?
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 07:16 AM

I grow my tomatoes outside and this year will have a bumper crop. Most of the tomatoes have now turned yellow and a couple will be ripe for picking this weekend. A friend of mine who lives about 12 miles away from me has been picking ripe tomatoes for the past two weeks.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Some of mine are just starting to turn and up to yet I've enjoyed just one, a cherry tomato "gardener's Delight". I am growing four diffenet varieties this year so they should ripen at different times, but if there is a glut we will make tomato pasta sauce with them and pop it in the freezer in portion sized bags...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top