Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Re: Tomatoes - again

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I've never tried eating green tomatoes Audreyll - are they alright if they're not ripe?
Oh absolutely!! AND they are delicious.. slice them.. dip in egg.. then corn meal.. then fry until golden.. sooo good.. It's an old Southern US tradition. In fact there was a movie called Fried Green Tomatoes..

retiredandhappy
New Member!
West Mids
retiredandhappy is female 

10-07-2014, 08:13 PM

My tomatoes are all Gardener's Delight cherry toms. Thank you for everyone's reassurance - I guess I'll just have to be patient!
retiredandhappy
New Member!
West Mids
retiredandhappy is female 

14-07-2014, 08:31 AM

Thanks again for all the reassurance - am delighted to report that the lowest trusses are suddenly starting to change colour!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by retiredandhappy ->
Thanks again for all the reassurance - am delighted to report that the lowest trusses are suddenly starting to change colour!
Deedee I bet you will have so may by the end of next week you won't know what to do with them all
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Oh absolutely!! AND they are delicious.. slice them.. dip in egg.. then corn meal.. then fry until golden.. sooo good.. It's an old Southern US tradition. In fact there was a movie called Fried Green Tomatoes..

There's also a book - and very good it is too, though I have to confess that I've never tried frying them green. My tomatoes seem to be reluctant to ripen too, so far we've had 2 and a handful of baby plum ones. I absolutely love tomatoes and can't wait for the big ones to "turn".
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Mine are still green but I know they'll turn eventually. Hopefully they'll ripen when the glut is over and they're more expensive in the shops.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 07:57 AM

I have two plants going in the greenhouse, still at the green stage.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 11:42 AM

So far I've picked just over a kilo of ripe tomatoes in the past two weeks... some plum and some round. They're beginning to ripen quickly now, tomorrow I reckon I'll be able to pick another half kilo. As I have 19 plants I'll never be able to eat them all so I'm going to be busy preparing them for the freezer.

Next year I'm really going to have to have another veggie garden in addition to my two existing ones because this year the cucumber, butternut and courgette plants have taken over most of the largest patch hiding my carrots and cabbages underneath their leaves. Most annoying! Anyway, next year I want to grow a larger selection of veggies like sweet corn, broccoli and turnips which I haven't been able to do due to lack of space.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 01:13 PM

How sad that Deedee didn't get to enjoy her tomatoes
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 06:35 PM

As a general rule the larger the fruit the longer they take to mature. And if you are growing the really large ones ie 1lb+ then remember to support the trusses.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top