Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Re: Buddleia

Have an apology since we have had Betty Chihuahua she has turned out to be a butterfly and moth hunter, do our best to stop her but usually first we know is a blood curdling scream then a yap and she is upon them So we may be responsible for butterfly losses
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Have just bought Buddleia Davidii "Dark Knight". I am going to use this as a memorial plant for my daughter's ashes, as she passed away earlier this year. She loved dark purple and butterflies were her favourite things.

So this plant will signify 2 things she loved the most.

At least I won't have to worry about your dog Julie, bit far for her to come.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 08:12 AM

Butterflies have a couple of hatching periods, so some are early others later. Also we can get migrating butterflies depending on wind direction. Some invasions can be quite large. Red Admiral, Painted lady, and Clouded Yellow, can arrive in large numbers.

When im doing my seawatch counts, (Birds, Cetaceans) i often pick them up coming in off the sea. Some get snapped up by the gulls as they arrive over the shore.

We planted a Buddlia on the wetland which has not spread, but some days it is covered with butterflies and bees, and others they are absent. Not sure why this is.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 09:42 AM

I have Dark Knight, Sandi, it is my favourite. So sorry to hear about your daughter, you have made a very good choice.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Thanks Celyn,

I had always thought about getting a Buddleia but never got round to it. So maybe this was the one I was meant to buy .

I think she would approve. Life throws curveballs like that sometimes, because when I knew she had left her ashes to me the Buddleia was the first instinct to buy. I didn't even have to think about it.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Buddleia always remind me of demolished buildings..along with rose bay willow herb...
The first wild flowers that enrich virgin ground..
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 02:49 PM

I've had two in the past because I loved the Butterfly Bush but both times, it eventually died by the next year.
I'm wondering if it depends what kind of winter you have & of course our winters are different from yours even in Southern Ontario.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 02:54 PM

We get severe winters..this last winter was extremely mild...they grow wild over here..
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 07:17 PM

We have two and the butterflies have been visiting will put photo on when I get round to it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top