Join for free
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Swede

We planted some swede seeds earlier in the year, and they appeared to be doing fine - until last week.

Went to weed and thin them, and found most of the leaves have been eaten. They look like leafy skeletons!

The swedes still appear to be growing (think enough leaves are still untouched), but we're scratching our heads over what's got at them.

There's no sign of caterpillars or slugs/snails, and all the surrounding fruit and veg plants are untouched.

Any clues, anyone?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Re: Swede

I'd blame the slugs and snails, which have probably moved on to another restaurant by now.

Don't the slugs live in the soil anyway?

Failing that, squirrels?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 04:08 PM

I had the same trouble with beetroot which I had smothered in slug pellets and covered with chicken wire and yet something ate them.........I suspected mice which I have seen in my garden.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 04:59 PM

hmm, could be mice I suppose - our garden has a hedge separating us from a small meadow, so there could be all sorts living in there!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I had the same trouble with beetroot which I had smothered in slug pellets and covered with chicken wire and yet something ate them.........I suspected mice which I have seen in my garden.
I had the same thing Alan then two years ago I sowed Beetroot in plastic troughs with intention of planting them out later then forgot to leave room in my raised beds so they stayed in the troughs, in the plastic greenhouse.

Then one day I was out weeding and saw a sparrow go into the greenhouse and start shredding the Beetroot leaves!

It turned out that greenfly was getting into the greenhouse so the sparrow were getting the greenfly but shredding the Beetroot leaves in the process!

You could have the same problem but then I've seen wood mice eat beetroot leaves too.

By the way, our Swede's suddenly been eaten too! stevmk2
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Pigeons could be eating the swede leaves.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Pigeons could be eating the swede leaves.
Really?

We get loads of the things here - real pests that crash around in the flower beds but the Swedes are very close to the house and they don't normally come that close. stevmk2
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Really?

We get loads of the things here - real pests that crash around in the flower beds but the Swedes are very close to the house and they don't normally come that close. stevmk2
They like their greens,just a possibility,they mighten come close when you are around.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top