Join for free
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 08:21 PM

getting rid of ivy

My neighbours ivy has grown over his fence and invaded my garage I had an operation recently and couldn't cut it back suggested neighbour kept it cut back but he said he doesnt have time. So I said I would spray it with a strong weedkiller.
Which is the best one to use that doesnt make to big hole in my pension. the neighbour said he is happy for me to do that.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Re: getting rid of ivy

I had this problem when i moved here it just about broke the fence down , we cut the biggest part down when we took the fence Down, Spray it with Roundup to finish it off. ,and keep spraying any shoots you see. ,
Its worked for me this house and twice at last house ,,,another wY i did T last house was covered it for twelve month with a ground sheet depriving itof light
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks for that Eliza, I'll do that
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:22 AM

regarding the price - I don't know about the the price in the UK but Monsanto's Roundup is expensive, Use a Chinese copy; look for a non selective weedkiller/herbicide with the ingredent 'Glyphosate 360'; its exactly the same as Roundup and less than half the price (here at least)
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Glyphosate will work -eventually but it may need a couple of hits. Personally I think your neighbour should cut it back-not got the time?? nonsense.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:55 AM

I agree Roundup or similar will do the business, but your neighbour should foot the bill if it's his plant....
RoundUpGarden
New Member!
UK
RoundUpGarden is male 

22-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Roundup can help you control ivy effectively, you can find more information on our Ivy fact sheet: [link removed - sorry we do not allow link dropping]
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 03:43 PM

Can't you just cut the stem and when it dies back pull it down ? much cheaper and less dangerous than chemicals. Works on the neighbours vine that comes over we just cut the stem on top of the fence and pull it off our side.
Gypsy
Ontario, Canada
Gypsy is female 

22-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Julie, I agree with you about the chemicals which I will use only as a last ditch effort.

Ivy has suckers that attach to almost any surface. Maybe boiling hot salt water would work. Just a thought.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top